Astonished at Finale news!

Great solution, thanks for sharing.

I am curious, however since I have never used Finale, what the expected behavior looks like? Where do the unused instruments go when using their version of galley view? Perhaps because I am used to Dorico (and DAWs) I am quite comfortable in Dorico’s galley view, even in a large orchestration where I might not be using all instruments. The filter tool + jump bar really helps!

I tried Finale. Never liked it. I went with Sibelius until they went prescription. I stayed with Sibelius for many years and have a perpetual license. Crossgrading from Sib to Dorico is not as kind as it is to Finale owners. Not fair so no point for me to transition to Dorico.

Well, Sibelius is still an “active” product, so there wouldn’t be an incentive whatsoever for Avid to offer a crossgrade promotion away from their own product. Perhaps Steinberg could extend a deal to lure Sibelius users but the context is different.

What I am curious about is how many Finale users are not coming over until more robust 20th century techniques are available in Dorico. I know several composers who use Dorico to “start” the score, but the finish it they have to drop the PDF into Illustrator or some other graphic program.

Is there news about this anyone has heard (regarding 20th century techniques, more robust lines and other approaches)?

1 Like

The Dorico team doesn’t announce new features before they are released, and gives few clues as to when the next release will be. You can search this forum to find many discussions of modern notations. They read everything on here, so even if there are no replies from a Steinberg person you can be sure they are aware of all the feature requests.

2 Likes

This I know. Just curious.

The name “Dorico” bothers me a little.
“Finale” sounds like it could be used to write big musicals and world hits, whereas ‘Dorico’ is typically used for songs like ‘Mein kleiner grüner Kaktus’, etc.

Dorico was named (quite some years ago now) after Valerio Dorico, one of the first (hand) engravers. See Valerio Dorico - Wikipedia

9 Likes

Rather direct, I realize, but…setting aside the meaningful historical roots of the name @pianoleo shares below, what does this proclamation of personal taste contribute to this forum?

9 Likes

I do get that we have emotional reactions to names, colors, and such sometimes - I suppose we should be glad that there probably aren’t too many ex-spouses out there with the name Dorico?

1 Like

Can’t wait to try this!

1 Like

I know that, but as a product or brand it sounds pretty stupid.

One of the first singers 800 years ago was called “Walther von der Vogelweide”, but I don’t think that a manufacturer of a product that has to do with singing, e.g. a microphone manufacturer, would come up with the idea of calling a new product “Walther” or “Vogelweide”.

Forgive me for stating the bleeding obvious, but on the basis of application names it’s remarkable that anyone expected Finale to last for 27 versions.

15 Likes

as they say, opinions are like … well… certain parts of the anatomy.
I don’t find “Dorico” sounds at all “pretty stupid”.

I’m actually finding it ironic, considering yesterday’s news, that MakeMusic has a product called “Finale”.

6 Likes

Well not for much longer! :wink:

Of course such things are subjective and opinions can be further shaped by how things sound to you based on the perception of your own native tongue.

I actually like it. It’s original, memorable, and meaningful. Plus, at the end of the day, who cares? Would you not use software on this basis alone? I mean, there are endless iconic products with silly names. “Apple Macintosh” probably sounded like a joke in the beginning, one that people figured would never take off. At the end of the day Dorico could be called “Music Fart Pro” and I would still enjoy using it for what it allows me to accomplish.

It could be worse:

Dr_Ts_Tiger_Cub_loading

(this was the actual name of a scorewriting program for Amiga in 1989, curious if anyone here ever used it)

1 Like

I hesitate to think what might be accomplished with that name… :eyes:

1 Like

It’s perfectly fine for people to express their opinions! Dorico is (in my heavily biased opinion, admittedly) a fantastic software that has done amazing work to make music engraving more beautiful and easier to achieve. We can take a healthy dose of criticism, and in fact we welcome it (especially when it’s constructive). Many valuable Dorico features started that way.

There’s going to be a lot of opinions flying around this week, and it’s perhaps ok not to pick over every comment. We want to ensure that all new users feel that this is an easy space to enter and participate in - we obviously want to maintain our friendly tone, but often that can be expressed sufficiently in one reply.

14 Likes

Two of the important attributes of the name ‘Dorico’ are that it is:

• a very uncommon string, making internet searches more specific
  • easy to pronounce at sight by speakers of all Latin-alphabet languages
15 Likes

Yes, I think so too. As a Finale user (over 30 years), I’ve also had the feeling for a year that it will soon be over.

Hm, maybe I’ll get myself a pet and call it “Dorico”, then I’ll probably get used to it. This immediately raises the next question: What kind of pet could the name “Dorico” fit? Dog, cat, parrot or hamster?

Dorico !! - I’ll probably get used to it at some point - hopefully! :innocent:

3 Likes

Very true! Sibelius cross grade is $434. Finale cross grade is $150. The thing is, I own Cubase 13, Wavelab 12, and SpectraLayers 11. As a long time customer, where is my incentive when I’m already dishing out $500 a year for upgrades? I don’t need another product to pay into. To me, this is more lure than alluring.