Asus UX501 vs Dell XPS 15

Hi all,

I’m trying to decide between these 2 laptops and wanted to know if anyone has any experience with them running Cubase.

The Dell has the newer cpu (Skylake vs Haswell), but the Asus has faster SSD (pcie vs msata).

From what I’ve read, there isn’t that much of a performance difference between the Haswell and Skylake quad core CPUs, it’s more in energy efficiency.

The Dell looks nicer, but the Asus is a lot cheaper and seems a better value for money if the performance difference is negligible.

Any feedback or similar alternative suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks,
Rich

To me it looks like you have already gave yourself all the answers you need :slight_smile:

First of all both are best in the segment.

1. While dell has more premium built quality, but Asus on the other hand is quiet good

2. Dell also offer touch screen functionality and there are more configuration options than Asus

3. But Asus on other hand provide really good value for money and faster SSD

I bought used Dell with quad cpu and fhd display from ebay and chanced hybrid hdd to M.2 SSD myself. Been very happy with it although I hate Win 10 and I think I should’ve installed Win 7 on it.

I know the original thread post is old, but to anyone else with the same dilemma: Get the XPS.

An important thing that not everybody realizes about the UX501VW is that it’s basically cheating its resolution spec. It advertises 4K UHD 3840x2160, but that isn’t a complete truth. The display uses RG/BW Pentile, a deceptive trick that lets manufacturers produce a cheaper less-sharp display that they can still sell as a particular resolution. It doesn’t have 3840x2160 individual pixels that can independently express the full range of color like normal displays do, so it can’t fully reproduce a 3840x2160 picture. They look worse than the 3K 2880x1620 display they used in the UX51VZ, and the only purpose of Pentile is to deceive customers. ASUS is one of the biggest perpetrators of this problem, and their marketing of the UX501 alongside the XPS 15 is one of its most egregious cases.