At what levels (loud/soft) do you guys mix?

matjones posted:

i think Bob Clearmountain was one of them… which basically said that you should be able to have a conversation at a normal level with someone sitting about two feet away from you.

Pretty much nails it eh?
Anything above that is IMHO loud
{‘-’}

Same here as for vocals. Doing this can indicate not only loudness of the vocal but also that the remainder of the mix being too dense for the vocal or that the vocal needs additional spatial treatment to fit in with everything.

I imagine that a good mixing level would be about that level which you imagine a typical listener to the style you’re mixing would be listening at. If it’s going to be listened loud, then mix loud - as so forth?

I always mix at a level that I can hear clearly but will not give me fatigue quickly. I still take many breaks. I don’t measure dB.

I don’t know if you would consider it all over the map, but I do listen to the same mix at different levels. I will first mix at a comfortable listening level and use a n external 31 band audio spectrum analyzer with peak holds to determine my frequency levels along the Fletcher Munsen curve. Once I get that stabilized I will boost the mix to around 80-85 db. If something jumps out at me at that level, I make the adjustment then bring it back to the previous level. If it sounds good at both levels I will then drop it to where I can barely hear it and make sure I can still hear everything. Finally I will listen to it in headphones at various levels and make any necessary adjustments. Each time I make an adjustment at one level I will go back and listen again at the previous levels to make sure my adjustment didn’t cause any drastic changes to previous listens. If they do, then I sometimes compromise and meet the difference half way.

When I am placing images I will listen in stereo. Once the images are placed and I am ready to balance frequencies I will listen in mono while watching the spectrum analyzer. After a good mono mix I will listen again in stereo to make sure I can still hear everything.

Nice, I like that systematic approach. I’m too lazy for that :stuck_out_tongue:

Nice!
Seems detailed and disciplined.
{‘-’}

I’ll mix pretty quiet most of the time, then I’ll give a song a Spinal Tap before a long break. Just to hear where I’m at. I don’t use a lot of compression in a mix. That CLA interview video was great. I love openness and a lot of space in a mix. I’ve never measured my dB level I’d guess that since I can hear myself type clickity click on a keyboard that it’s not that loud.

Mixing can be quite a challenge sometimes. My tinnitus is pretty bad. I can tune a guitar to it. I spent too much time in practice rooms in college. The there were concerts back in the day. Too much loud music. And I’m almost deaf in one ear. :frowning:

70-75 dB