Atares Harmony Engine in Cubase

Cubase AI Elements 10
Steinberg UR242
Windows 10 pro
Antares Harmony Engine Evo

Having downloaded and installed the Antares Harmony Engine Evo program, I watched a couple of ‘on-line’ tutorials and read the ‘user’ manual before recording a voice track in Cubase, and testing the Antares software. It appeared that by calling up the plug in and dragging it, not onto the track, but the ‘input/output section of Cubase, where it creates its own track, was all that was required; the rest was automatic. To my dismay, when playing the vocal track, the engine didn’t work, no matter what I tried. I re-checked the tutorials and re-read the Antares manual, but it appeared I had followed the right procedure. I then spent a frustrating number of days getting nowhere, before discovering you have to make sure you have a ‘send’ in the ‘Inspector window’ in the left zone in Cubase; linking your audio (vocal) track to the ‘Harmony Engine,’ and make sure the ‘send’ is active. To be fair; it, vaguely, infers this in the user manual, but no doubt translated from Chinese, it’s not abundantly clear. Hope this helps anyone using this combo.

Hi,

I don’t use Antares Harmony Engine, but I doubt it has to sit in the FX Channel routed via Send. It doesn’t make much sense. Then you would hear a mix of the original untuned signal + the tuned one. Why you don’t place it as an Insert effect directly to the Audio track, please?

Dear Geoff,

to work with Cubase and not have an idea about “insert effects” and “Fx-Channels” / channel sends, etc. will again and again lead you to problems.
The reason is that it is absolutely fundamental to become familiar with the most basic concepts of this DAW. This has nothing to do with a specific Plugin, but is GENERALLY true.
So I highly recommend you study the manual (track/channel types) carefully and look after some BASIC youtube videos about Cubase.

Please don’t get me wrong (as many others sometimes do): This is not the “RTFM”-word, but a serious piece of advice that will help you to avoid the most trivial problems.