ATMOS Monitoring: Time Delay Compensation

Is there a way to do that in Nuendo? I need to tune the monitors to adjust for slight time differences caused by the differences in distance between monitors that are closer vs farther away from the sweet spot. I am struggling to find a solution. What would you suggest to solve this issue?

1 Like

I would be interested to know this also. It can be done in the dolby atmos master suite https://learning.dolby.com/hc/en-us/articles/360054965131-Module-4-4-Speaker-Calibration-
Can’t seem to find anything in Nuendo 11 though. Perhaps in 12 it will be forthcoming or is there another way of achieving this??

You can set delay using one of the plugins;

MixerDelay (steinberg.help)

2 Likes

lol…I have been searching everywhere for a solution…perfect answer for me. Thank you

1 Like

This guy shows you how to manually calibrate your Atmos speakers, using a delay in the Control Room, so it does not get accidentally printed on your final mix.

2 Likes

Thanks for the link

1 Like

Unfortunately, the Atmos Renderer in Nuendo does not have any extra functionality, like speaker calibration and EQ etc. Maybe in an upcoming release…

Errr … maybe I’m missing the obvious - but why should a render engine take care for local monitoring tasks …?

2 Likes

I am not sure why either. That said the ATMOS renderer by Dolby does include time delay features. Maybe they figured this is such an important issue when moving to ATMOS mixing that they ought to facilitate solving this issue for everyone who downloads their plugin to start mixing in this format. Most stand-alone third party solutions costs $500 and up. They might have decided they should lower the cost of entry into ATMOS to help with adoption of the format.

1 Like

OMFG. @noeqplease you are a GOD SEND!!! How did I not catch this video?! I have been looking for this for months! THANK YOU!

1 Like

Just keeps it inside the Renderer… so people don’t forget to do those adjustments… and they also don’t affect the final product.

Otherwise, people might do their own solutions and make a mistake.

Don’t thank me, thank Leo Brodie, who made that video. He really is taking the time to figure out this Atmos thing for a lot of us.

I rarely have time these days to spend hours upon hours of learning this new format.

2 Likes

I did email him and thanked him. And picked his brain about another issue.

2 Likes