AU vs VST plugins in Vienna Ensemble

Hi,

I don’t know if this is a question for Steinberg or VSL, but I believe both manufacturers are involved.

When using plugins hosted in Vienna Ensemble Pro, driven by Dorico on a Mac, should we use AU or VST plugins? Is there any difference between them? Since Dorico is intended for use with VST plugins, would these latter be better integrated with Dorico than AU ones?

Paolo

Is this true?

As far as I know, Dorico can’t accept AU plugins directly. You can use them if hosted by VEP (itself inserted in Dorico as a VST plugin).

Paolo

Dorico cannot load AU plug-ins itself, that’s correct: Steinberg’s host applications support only VST plug-ins (which is fair enough, since Steinberg is the inventor and maintainer of the VST standard).

It doesn’t matter from Dorico’s point of view whether you use AU or VST plug-ins loaded into VE Pro. It doesn’t know anything about anything that is loaded inside VE Pro.

1 Like

The only advantage of using Vst plugins in VEP is Windows compatibility. You could load the same project on a PC as a remote computer if you wish. Not with AU.

1 Like