Audio Card output could not be set error

New to WaveLab 8 Elements. After opening any .wav or mp3 file, an error prompt appears when I select “play”.

“The Audio Card Output could not be set to this sample rate: 8,000 Hz. Either this device does not support this sample rate, or it is in slave mode and its sample rate cannot be changed by WaveLab Elements.”

I am using OS X 10.8.3 on a MacBook Pro with an i7 processor. I am using the internal sound card of the machine. I have tried WaveLab in both 32 and 64 bit with the same error result. Although I am far from knowledgeable when it comes to sound production, I have used in the past (without issue) Bias Peak LE 7 to sound scrub and encode to mp3 my .wav files. I purchased WaveLab as a replacement to Peak, since Bias is out of business and I can not authorize my Peak apps on this new machine. :frowning:

I simply want to denoise my .wav recordings and save to mp3. For the life of me, I don’t understand why WaveLab cannot play these files, especially that they are playable in iTunes, Peak, Amadeus Pro and Audacity. BTW, I purchased the mp3 encoder too. Can anyone help me get over this hurdle.

Appreciate any help. Thanks.

If you want to play a file that has a sample rate that is not supported by your audio card, simply add the Resampler Plugin in the Master Section, eg.:
2013-05-27_07-17-10.png

Thanks for responding. I appreciate it.

As I can play the sound file with a number of other applications, doesn’t it follow my audio card supports that sample rate? If not necessarily true, then how do I add the crystal resampler to the master section?

As I can play the sound file with a number of other applications, doesn’t it follow my audio card supports that sample rate?

WaveLab uses the audio card independently from other applications.

If not necessarily true, then how do I add the crystal resampler to the master section?

2013-05-27_09-18-22.png

Philippe says it nicely, but the other applications convert the sample rate behind your back…

Thanks for the information and direction. I attempted to work with one sound file and found the process way to cumbersome and time consuming. Also, was not happy with the results from using the de-noiser plug-in.

Over the past 4 years I’ve become quite adept working with Bias Peak and Sound Soap. Wave Lab proved to be in another Universe. I’m pretty disappointed about it all. I find Wave Lap 8 Elements way too complicated for what I need. Since this was the “baby” version of the full sound app package, I figured it was geared more to the beginner/intermediate rather than a pro user. e.g. I find the menu structure quite difficult to navigate and not user friendly at all. I’m going to contact customer support on Tuesday.

As a result, I wound up using Audacity to remove background noise from the sound files (they’re telephone recordings for clients). While not ideal, it served my purposes and saved me quite a bit of time.

Thanks again for your help Philippe. I appreciate your taking the time.