Audio drop out-focusrite 24 pro dsp,Latency etc HELP!

I am very close to destroying my new computer so PLEASE help! I have just bought a new HP 6560b laptop, and I was really hoping that I cold use it for some music projects. It has 2.30 ghz. 8GB RAM, and intel core i5 with win7 64b.
At the moment I can record, but only one track for 5 seconds is enough for the audio to drop out and the metronome freezes for a couple of seconds…same thing when I play back a file in cubase…

I ’ m using a Focusrite 24 pro dsp, and it is giving me lots of trouble. I installed the cubase 6.5 artist and immidiatly I got a very ugly static crackling jitter.No sound, just ugly noise.
I tried going back to the legacy driver as I discovered that HP 's firewire Jmicron chipset might cause a conflict with Focusrite. Nothing really improved until I adjusted the khz from 44 to 48.(?..) That erased the jitter noise, but now I am struggeling with constant audio drop out. I tried adjusting the buffer and latency but nothing helps. I installed the dpc latency checker and it is showing a massive red boost up to over 70000us.every once in a while. I have tried to disable every possible item in the Device manager, but still no result.
Do I need to return my brand new laptop or look for another audio interface?

I have to say, I really regret that I updated my system. It really shouldnt be so hard just to record some music! These days I feel more like a computer tech than a musician :frowning:

Hi

All energy saveing options turned off`?
Then there are a few job don^t know english word for checking devices (like cdrom)
A good latency check program is latencymon. ill show you withc jobs cuase peaks.

Bet wishes

Bassbase

Yes, all turned off. I tried the program you suggested, but I am not quite sure what to do with the results…

CONCLUSION

Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines executed by a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. Also your system appears to be having trouble which may be attributed to SMIs, IPIs, CPU bugs or unexplainable stalls. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:12:50 (h:mm:ss) on all processors in the system.

\

SYSTEM INFORMATION

Computer name:
OS version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601 (x64)
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core™ i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz
Logical processors: 4
Processor groups: 1
RAM: 8126 MB total

\

CPU SPEED

Reported CPU speed: 2294,0 MHz
Measured CPU speed: 529,0 MHz (approx.)

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

\

MEASURED KERNEL TIMER LATENCIES

Highest measured kernel timer latency (µs): 73910,195427

\

MEASURED SMIs AND CPU STALLS

Highest measured SMI, IPI or CPU stall (µs) 73111,906772

\

REPORTED DPCs

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 73164,425022
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: rspLLL64.sys - Resplendence Latency Monitoring and Auxiliary Kernel Library, Resplendence Software Projects Sp.

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%): 1,512480
Driver with highest DPC total execution time: ohci1394.sys - 1394 OpenHCI Port Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%) 2,814014

DPC count (execution time <250 µs): 3575519
DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs): 137
DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

\

REPORTED ISRs

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs): 357,783348
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: ohci1394.sys - 1394 OpenHCI Port Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%): 0,265472
Driver with highest ISR total time: ohci1394.sys - 1394 OpenHCI Port Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%) 0,431181

ISR count (execution time <250 µs): 2708108
ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs): 1
ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

\

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS

Process with highest pagefault count: none

Total number of hard pagefaults 5320
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process: 3864
Highest hard pagefault resolution time (µs): 180941,074978
Total time spent in hard pagefaults (%): 2,033686
Number of processes hit: 0

\

PER CPU DATA

CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s): 101,489936
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs): 357,783348
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s): 13,296881
CPU 0 ISR count: 2708109
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs): 73164,425022
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s): 85,644377
CPU 0 DPC count: 3305966

CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s): 1,288088
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0,0
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s): 0,0
CPU 1 ISR count: 0
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs): 124,945946
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s): 0,869421
CPU 1 DPC count: 213561

CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s): 1,829320
CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0,0
CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s): 0,0
CPU 2 ISR count: 0
CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs): 119,205754
CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s): 0,142320
CPU 2 DPC count: 25309

CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0,260879
CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0,0
CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s): 0,0
CPU 3 ISR count: 0
CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs): 154,819093
CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s): 0,123246
CPU 3 DPC count: 30822

Hi

Ok you also recognized that there are a few tab at tghe top of the programm where if i rember right also the jobs witch cause the dropouts are listed?

Are on you computer motherboard programs runnig witch change speed of cpu and stuff? if yes turn of.

CPU SPEED

Reported CPU speed: 2294,0 MHz
Measured CPU speed: 529,0 MHz (approx.)

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup.

With the firewire I am not really to help just never used firewire for anything, but know that there can be big conflicts. Perhaps some users here might give you a hint.

Greetz Bassbase

You might try to trace the problem forever & still not get this working…Focusrite lists the Jmicron chipset as being incompatible (though unconfirmed) & there are plenty of user problems reported if you Google it.

Sadly it’s almost impossible to buy a laptop that will just work with all f/w interfaces nowadays.

You might try to trace the problem forever & still not get this working…Focusrite lists the Jmicron chipset as being incompatible (though unconfirmed) & there are plenty of user problems reported if you Google it.

Sadly it’s almost impossible to buy a laptop that will just work with all f/w interfaces nowadays.

:smiling_imp: Oh looks like technical K.O. in the first round, than still guarantee on latop or even better moneyback ?

:bulb: But what chipset would make sense to look for? Or getting an RME usb interface?

Greetz Bassbase

T.I chipset is widely recommended by interface manufacturers. But good luck finding a new laptop that has one.

Others may work dependant on the interface…Focusrite say Via are OK for their products.

Or getting an RME usb interface?

That would work nicely :slight_smile:

Phuh… :smiley: I am so relieved, and thanks you all for helping. I called both HP and they really couldnt help any. I called Cubase support , and they said that the specs on my laptop should be more than enough to run cubase smoothly. I opened up the windows task manager via alt ctrl del, and saw much of the same stuff going on that I saw in the LatencyMon program. I switched of something called mspeng.exe, and a HP connection wizard that was using a lot of memory along with a couple of other minor programs (don 't touch the “explorer.exe” ) and all of a sudden the computer is back to normal. It still seems to have some BIG issues with the Focusrite 24 pro dsp and recordnig in 44khz, but as long as I choose the 48khz option at the mixer and in cubase, all is well. Cubase support also confirmed that this would not cause any extra strain on the computer. I just recorded a song to check, and everything works fine. I hope this might be of some help to others as well. I suppose it could be risky to deactivate to many programs on your task manager, but it might be an idea to have HP support on the phone while doing so. (Or whichever computer manufacturer you use)

Hello,
I have the same problem with my HP DV7 laptop and the Saffire Pro 24 DSP with the onboard firewire only working at 48kHz (Cubase, Pro Tools, Live, Reason and Renoise).
I’ve been using a TI chipset expresscard with no problems for a long time. However, this is only using MixControl 2.4.
I have recently been running various tests and testing software for Focusrite regarding the issues and in particular the recent beta drivers not working with either firewire port. One software they gave me stated that my onboard firewire was not compatible with their devices.
I have no such issues on my desktop pc running any MixControl version with a TI firewire port.
I would advise you to contact Focusrite. Their customer service has been excellent.
Cheers,
Dean

Hi! Yes I have been in touch with Focusrite and they also sent me that software to test the compability. It was of course not compatible with the drivers, or something like that. I am guessing that the Jmicron chipset in a lot of HP laptops might be the problem, and using the expresscard shouold be a good way a round the whole incompability problem.