Audio drop outs with new qwerty computer keyboard...

I plugged in a new Dell qwerty keyboard in and then turned on my computer. Now, I’m experiencing audio drop outs. When I put back my old qwerty keyboard, all is well and works again??? I don’t get it. When I put the new keyboard in, it seemed to install a device driver all by itself as it recognized the new keyboard. I should also mention that the older keyboard is not USB. It’s the old style plug. The new keyboard is USB. Could that have anything to do with it?

Anyone have any ideas as to why? I’d really like to use my new Dell qwerty keyboard. I should also mention that the older keyboard is generic (no name brand).

I’m using windows 7 Pro 64bit.

The recognition is by Windows, which installs the correct driver. The problem could be that your audio interface is also USB and they share the same interrupt. But there is not enough information. You could try a converter to go from USB to the old stryle plug also.

You could try using a USB to PS2 adapter plug.
The problem is most likely with the USB though and shouldn’t normally cause such a problem.
Perhaps download and run the latency checker to see if there are any issues.
http://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml

I am using two steinberg MR816 CSX’s. They are both FireWire and daisy chained together. The only things I have plugged into my USB are …an ilok, my elicenser, and my computer trackball mouse. (These are the same things that have always been plugged in). I’ll try the PS2 adapter. I have a few of those laying around. I’ll report back.

Any other thoughts?

By the way, it dosent feel like I’m getting latency, just the audio stutters every few seconds. The meters in cubase don’t seem to be effected by the drop outs either.

Don’t confuse DPC Latency with your DAW latency.
About the DPC Latency tool referred to above. Highly recommended by many users :wink:

If any kernel-mode device driver in your Windows system is implemented improperly and causes excessive latencies of Deferred Procedure Calls (DPCs) then drop-outs will probably occur when you use real-time audio or video streaming applications.

The DPC Latency Checker tool determines the maximum DPC latency that occurs on your Windows system and thus enables you to check the real-time capabilities of your computer. DPC Latency Checker works independently of any external hardware. Using this tool may be helpful in the following situations:

• You experience interruptions (drop-outs) in a flow of data processed in real-time, for example an audio stream, video stream or a sequence of measuring data, and you want to find out the reason for this problem.

You want to verify that your Windows system is configured properly so that it is capable of handling real-time data transfer before you install the corresponding streaming application.

You want to check if a particular computer system is suitable for streaming applications, for example before you buy this system.

Ok, I’ll try the latency checker too…

By the way, I just ready the page with the latency checker program and it says…

Warning: Don’t disable devices that are essential for your computer to function!
You should not disable:

any device listed in Device Manager under System devices or Computer,
the hard disk that contains the system partition,
the IDE/ATAPI or SATA controller this hard disk is connected to,
the system keyboard,
the mouse, track point or touch pad device,
the USB controller external keyboard and/or mouse devices are connected to,
the display controller listed under Display adapters.

Computer keyboard is listed here as a device that I should not disable in order for my computer to function. If I disable my keyboard, how would a re-enable it again after I check it? I don’t keep my recording computer connected to the internet. I only enable the internet when I have to do a windows update then I go back and disable it again after it’s done.

Disabling in the BIOS/EFI is not the same as the Windows operating system. Always disable in the BIOS/EFI if possible. If the motherboard manufacturer did their job it should not create an issue.

Is your firewire port built into the motherboard?

Are we to assume that DPCLT is showing you problems?
In the case of the Keyboard, switch to the old keyboard and check again. You might even be able to have both Keyboards attached concurrently.

I have a separate FireWire card from siig. I have not tried the latency program yet. I will try that tonight after I get out if work then I’ll report back :slight_smile:

Ok, I tried the Latency Checker. It says that my computer can run audio fine. I’ve enclosed a screen shot… This is odd because I use my old keyboard and everything runs fine. I use the new keyboard and I get stuttering in the audio playback. Any more ideas to try? How do I check to see if something is sharing a usb port some how?

Download drivers for the keyboard. If that doesn’t work try checking to see if there is there is an Irq issue(2 devices sharing the same Irq)

Switch USB ports

Get an adapter for usb to ps2

How do I check to see if there is there is an Irq issue(2 devices sharing the same Irq)? I’ve looked it up on google and it’s very confusing. I can find the irq’s in my device manager, but I am having trouble understanding what I’m looking at. (If) …once I find the problem, how would I change one of them to a different irq number?

just keep googling. It’s sort of confusing. Maybe try YouTube. It’s easy once u understand where u are going.

I do not see any conflicts in the IRQ that I can tell. Not sure if I’m reading things right here.

Is there such a thing as a “Legacy Keyboard Driver”? Each keyboard seems to have its own driver that automatically installs depending on which keyboard is plugged in (new or old) How do I choose the “old”?