Audio dropouts in Cubase 12.0.20

The “Disable Hyper-Threading (Intel)/Simultaneous Multi-Threading (AMD)" obviously refers to the previous sentence :

Modern systems with a fully updated Windows should not need any of the default settings to be modified. However, if certain drivers are not fully optimized and you experience audio drop-outs, it is worth having a closer look.

Your computer isn’t an old relic from the late 2000’s, it is really good, so you shouldn’t have hardware related performance issues.
You are experiencing audio dropouts even without Hyper-Threading, so the issue comes from somewhere else. Disabling it can actually lower the performance… so it is best to keep it enabled.

I would suggest to delete program preferences from the safe mode console.

Cubase is full of bugs, there is no point trying to find out why things are messy.

I work on a project fine and then after a while , for no particular reason, it goes to hell.

It’s just the coding in Cubase that is problematic.

I had horrendous problems with sound pops and crackles, audio drop outs, etc. and I deleted program preferences.

Cubase started running fantastically.

The only (new thing) now is that it gets either stuck, or jumps on certain places.

Again, a bug or corruption of a Cubase file…

Anyhow, give this a go it will might help.

1 Like

That’s true, the Cubase 12 update has introduced too many issues. Something is very wrong within the code, and it can even corrupt the files.

Quite not :joy:
My guess is that it just changes the threshold for the Turbo and other curves, this won’t melt your motherboard at all, it can eventually become a bit hotter, but you won’t notice it by only starting an app, you’d need to run heavy processing or rendering, which is far from being the case when using Cubase.
Plus, laptops BIOS can’t be more safe, you have thermal protections all over the place, and they are extremely well implemented to the power plans. If a BIOS setting is available, you are safe to tweak.

Just one last thing, what graphics card does it have ?
Is it just the integrated Intel, or an Nvidia ?
If it is the Nvidia, try launching Cubase with the high performance graphics processor with right-click (or whatever it is named).
If it is only the Intel, try tweaking the settings in the graphics panel (performance/quality). In some cases when the screen resolution is too high, and there is only an integrated GPU, it can cause performance issue with DAWs.

Keep us updated !

If anyone has similar issues to me, you might be able to get the High-Performance power plan back with the following fix (from Dell customer support). In a Command Prompt (Administrator), type the following:

【powercfg -setactive 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c】

For my Dell laptop, this re-activated the hidden Power plan, and I was able to select High-Performance. I noticed a definite improvement in the audio dropout issue, and for the moment I think it has resolved the issue.

1 Like