Audio dropouts solution?

Wonder if you guys can help solve this. I am getting Audio drop outs with both Asio and MME (simultaneously). What happens is suddenly for no apparent reason the sound fades and vanishes (like quickly turning the volume down) then it restores about 5 seconds later. Buffer size currently set to 192 - specs below. its not Cubase sepcific. It also happens when I ma playing my keyboard (set to Asio) with Band in a box, set to MME - both sounds go

Any ideas?

Have you tried reinstalling your sound card drivers?

tried this - no luck. Buffer increased no luck, used latency checker system ok.

Did you try to optimize your system? Maybye, there are some more important process, than audio is, on your system.

Did you try to optimize your system? Maybye, there are some more important process, than audio is, on your system.

I think I better give more info. Firstly the system was working fine before I started using two large TVs (LED) as monitors - these work great and I would not like to loose them. However both of course give out audio. Firstly they are connected via my graphics card using DVI/HDMI cables. In control panel the sound is disabled for all devices apart from my Saffire (which I am using in surround). The on board sound from the mobo is disabled in bios.
I am reluctant to go through the tweaking suggested above, as the system worked fine before, it was also tweaked by a very experienced member of this forum. The PC is not underpowered.

I have the Control Panel Sound set up to use the Saffire outputs of my focusrite liquid 56, so maybe MME is not part of the picture - I never understood the MME thing properly. I am generally a klutz with set up issues I might add.

Other wierd stuff:

Before I could have two or more movies running and get sound from all - now only one movie gets sound.

Opening IE silences sound in Band in a box (which I use to pratice keyboards. This app is also set to Asio at present.

I have increased the firewire buffer - no joy

I have increased the latency to 192 - no joy.

Seems an odd ball group of issues to me, my mind is on the monitors but I really dont know how to fix it.

Zero