Audio Drops outs when Running Cubase Elements >4Gb RAM

To set the scene just recently upgraded Elements to 7.0.7. Also added 2 x 4Gb Crucial RAM to my late 2009 iMac running OS X 10.7.5. Total of 12Gb RAM running on machine. Since the upgrade have been having audio drop outs on my projects, Audio drop outs are complete periods of silence of approx 1.2s every 5.5s seconds or so. The issue only occurs when using Crysonic plugins - If the plugin is on the master bus insert there is total silence, if the plug-in is on a track insert - only that tracks audio is affected.

So over the weekend I got down to some serious testing. I setup a basic very simple project in Cubase Elements 7 using one of the recording templates - rock and roll.

1st set up (A):
2 x 4Gb (Crucial RAM - i.e. same manufacturer, size and batch) - Cubase in 64-Bit mode, drop in one Crysonic plug-in on first master output and then single track

RESULTS: audio drop outs occur.

1st set up (B):
2 x 4Gb (Crucial RAM - i.e. same manufacturer, size and batch) - Cubase in 32-Bit mode, drop in one Crysonic plug-in and drop outs occur.

2nd set up (A):
1 x 4Gb (Crucial RAM - i.e. same manufacturer, size and batch) - Cubase in 64-Bit mode, drop in one Crysonic plug-in on first master output and then single track

RESULTS: audio works perfectly - no drop outs.

2nd set up (B):
1 x 4Gb (Crucial RAM - i.e. same manufacturer, size and batch) - Cubase in 32-Bit mode, drop in one Crysonic plug-in on first master output and then single track

3rd set up (A):
1 x Crucial 4Gb + 1 x Samsung 2Gb (6Gb RAM - i.e. different manufacturer, size and batch) - Cubase in 64-Bit mode, drop in one Crysonic plug-in on first master output and then single track

3rd set up (B):
1 x Crucial 4Gb + 1 x Samsung 2Gb (6Gb RAM - i.e. different manufacturer, size and batch) - Cubase in 32-Bit mode, drop in one Crysonic plug-in and drop outs occur.

4th set up (A):
2 x 2Gb (Samsung RAM - i.e. same manufacturer, size and batch) - Cubase in 64-Bit mode, drop in one Crysonic plug-in on first master output and then single track

Comments:
It seems the issue is accessing memory >4Gb as that is only when the issues occur. I had hoped that the first setup i.e. single manufacturer, size and batch of 2 x 4Gb, in the correct slots (I’ve researched the issue extensively and trust me they are in the correct slots on the iMac!!), Cubase running in 64-bit would work - but alas it doesn’t work but bizarrely problems only seem to occur with Crysonic plugins.

I then wondered is this some issue with Crysonic not able to run in 64-bit - their website suggests their plugins can run in either 32/64 bit mode. THis is why my 2nd set up above dropped to 4Gb (I realise single memory stick not a good idea!) but lo and behold the Crysonic plugin worked perfectly in both 64 and 32 bit mode! Btw I know Cubase is definitely running in 64-bit even though memory is not >4Gb since the CPU load (VST Performance meter) is sitting approx 15% percent higher on the same project.

The 3rd test was just to underline the point that it’s using more than 4Gb that seems to be the issue.

And 4th test I’m back to where I was before I started the memory upgrade i.e. 2 x 2Gb Samsung memory - but just out of curiosity it all runs perfectly in 64 bit mode.

Unfortunately I am unable to get a response to emails to Crysonic as although these tests suggest that their plugins run in 64-bit mode - they combined with Cubase and >4Gb RAM do not appear to run.

If there is anything you guys can suggest that might shed some light on what might be the issue - I’d be ever so grateful.

Kind regards,
Shane

If there is anything you guys can suggest that might shed some light on what might be the issue

The issue only occurs when using Crysonic plugins

problems only seem to occur with Crysonic plugins.

drop in one Crysonic plug-in on first master output and then single track

Yeah…it’s a real mystery :smiley:

The only thing I can suggest is that you make absolutely sure you are using the 64bit versions in 64bit Cubase and not trying to bridge the 32bit.

I wouldn’t hold out too much hope of Crysonic getting back to you…they are well known for appalling customer service…but if you’re buying a plugin suite for 98% off the “retail” price or whatever “amazing” deal was running at the time, I guess that’s what you’ll get.

Thanks Grim - how do I know if I’m running 64 bit versions of the Crysonic plug-ins?

Their website is a bit wooly on the topic…

Admittedly cheap as chips - but the really are fantastic - when they work.

I took a quick look at the website and it mentioned that there are 64bit native versions of “most” of the plugins.

You should always try to know exactly what versions of plugs you install and where you install them to…64 and 32bit should be kept in seperate folders (by default program files (x86) is for windows 32bit programs and plugs, program files is for 64bit)

If you look in the plugin information dialogue of your 64bit Cubase any 32bit plugs will have (win32) after the vst version in the SDK column.

Hi Grim - first of all I’m running on an iMac OS 10.7.5 so things look a bit differently than win - but if I’ve figured it out plugin’s which have i386 after them in SDK column are 32-bit. The crysonic plugins I have are a mixture of both 64-bit and 32-bit. Alas the audio drop out problem seems to occur with both types of Crysonic plugin. What I do not have though is my 32-bit and 64-bit plugins in separate folders. Is this something you can do retrospectively? i.e. create two folders and move them into their respective folder…

What I do not have though is my 32-bit and 64-bit plugins in separate folders. Is this something you can do retrospectively? i.e. create two folders and move them into their respective folder…

Certainly on Windows you can move the dll files…not sure if Mac is the same. But…this isn’t going to fix your problem anyhow. It’s more for you to know where the different formats are and to be able to point different versions of Cubase at the different folders or stop any bridging for fault finding.