Audio Editor ... is it destructive or non-destructive?

New to the forum. Sorry if this has been discussed before. I searched and couldn’t find my answer. Please point me … Been using SADIE for 20 years. Migrating to WaveLab.

Anyway … I’ve read and watched that the Audio Editor is destructive and I’ve also been told it’s not. What’s the answer ?

It’s both.
You are working on temporary files and need to render your changes into a new file.
But it’s possible to overwrite the original file with a simple save.

I guess it’s a bit of a grey area now that we have some more sophisticated undo options but in my opinion, the Audio Montage is the place to work because it’s very non-destructive, and all your plugin settings can be saved within the montage via the .mon file and there is no separate saving and loading of the Master Section needed.

I personally only use the Audio Editor to listen to files, but not for any processing of audio. I still consider it a largely destructive environment.

The simple answer is that the Audio Editor is destructive as soon as you save the edits/changes made or render.

2 Likes

Yes, with the nuance that you still can undo after saving (this has been an option since WaveLab 11).

2 Likes

Thank you everyone … it finally makes sense to me. Seems like a pretty funky model for “destructive” editing in the Audio Editor and it only makes me want to stay away from the audio editor. I have a habit of hitting “save” frequently so I’m sure I’d “save” in the Audio editor and write it back to my source file. I’m headed to the Audio Montage for my editing.

Yeah…that’s pretty much the “right way” to use WL for mastering.

I don’t really use the editor for anything. I tend to forget that it’s a thing.

Yet, this is pretty useful for checking rendered files. Also to compare audio files. Or to do small edits such as shortening a bit of a file. And for audio editing, surgical editing such as Spectrum Editing requires the audio editor.

Anyway, WaveLab is used for other purposes than mastering.

3 Likes

I’d take issue with saying “that’s pretty much the right way to use WL for mastering”. I’ve been mastering professionally using Wavelab for 15 years and always work in the Audio Editor, it suits my workflow perfectly. I only use the Montage for reports and the occasional DDP.

2 Likes

Fair enough. It just doesn’t make sense to me.