Audio engine process denied

I tried updating Dorico 3.5 to 4.0 on a Mac.

Only later did I learn that Dorico 4.0 needs OS X v.10.14 and upwards to work. My old iMac can only use up to OS X v.10.12 or 10.13.

After uninstalling Dorico 4.0 and re-installing Dorico 3.5, Dorico 3.5 will no-longer start up and I get a message saying ‘Audio engine process died’.

I’m liaising with Steinberg Technical Support to find a way to fix this problem, but in the mean time, if you’re a Mac user, don’t try upgrading to Dorico 4.0 unless your Mac can use OS X v.10.14 and up.

@evansf , the solution to this (in short) is:
With Dorico 4 you also installed HALion Sonic SE 3.5 which also needs to be uninstalled. Then go to the Steinberg website and download and install HALion Sonic SE 3.4.40. With that it will work again.

Thank you Ulf.

How do I uninstall HALion Sonic SE 3.5? - I have already moved what I could see of it, into the trash. After re-start, Dorico 3.5 still shows the ‘Audio engine process denied’ message.

Does the HALion Sonic SE 3.5 installer come with an uninstaller? If not, which further files do I need to remove.

Thank you for your help.

I don’t know of an uninstaller. From where did you throw HSSE out? From /Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Components ?

Hi @evansf , please have a look in this thread, where I posted a download link for a HALion Sonic SE 3.5 uninstaller.