Audio events original sample position

Hi,
I’ve started some “housekeeping” converting my old projects from 32/96 to 32/41.1. I decided that keeping large files and having my computer choke on them isn’t justified for me.
Could anyone explain what happens in case I choose “yes” or “no” when asked “Do you want to keep audio events at their original sample position?” while changing the sample rate of my projects.
Why is this choice given to me?
I’ve looked everywhere in Cubase manual but couldn’t find this information.
Thank you in advance.

Obviously different sample rates have different sample positions for absolute time values.
1 second @ 96 kHz is at sample position 96001
1 second @ 48 kHz is at sample position 48001
Changing samplerates will move the audio events either in their absolute time position or sample position. So the prompt does what it says:
“Yes” will keep sample position, but move the event in absolute time,
“No” will move the sample position, but keep the event at the same absolute time

Thank you for your response, Thinkingcap.
Could you please expand on the use for either choice? When should I choose which?

1 Like

I’m gonna go ahead and reply to this post from 10 years ago…
and add for future reference for myself , if no one else…

…that despite the default answer being set to “YES”… (Yo Steinberg, why is that?)
…to the question “Do you want to keep audio events at their original sample position?”

…you will most likely, if not ALWAYS, want to answer “NO”.

See, you just converted your project to a new sample rate, say 44.1 to 48, and you now want your audio events to be moved to the NEW sample positions.

If you say “YES” and keep them at their original positions, you’ll just end up with weird overlapping audio events, or unintended gaps between them… and the project will playback with the MIDI out of sync with the audio, and the audio evens out of sync with each other.

So, just say no.
NO. NO. NO.

10 Likes

I’m glad you went ahead and answered the question! Just came across this problem remixing an album recorded in 2003 and wondered exactly the same thing! All working now! Thank You!!!

2 Likes

Thanks, shagazulu. Your explicit explanation in plain language resonated with me. Very helpful.

2 Likes