Audio Files in Project Cause Cubase to Crash when Opening Project File

I’m encountering an issue where any new projects with audio files (including render in place files, imported audio, etc) will crash whenever I try to open them after saving my work and closing the project file out. Has anyone else ever encountered this issue?

I’m running the latest version of Cubase 12 Pro in Rosetta mode on a Mac Studio with macOS Monterey. 128GB RAM, 4TB SSD Storage, M1 Ultra processor.

The only way I can get the cpr file to open without crashing is by copying the project out of its holding folder so it doesn’t automatically link to the audio files in the Audio subfolder.

Another strange phenomenon is that this bug doesn’t seem to be an issue if I clean up and delete any unused midi tracks to significantly reduce the cpr file size before importing any audio. My blank template sits at 2.7GB, and this gets reduced to about 20-30MB after cleaning up unused tracks.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks all.

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Please share the *.ips file.

Mac: macOS Console utility > Crash Reports (or ~user/Library/Logs/Diagnostic Reports).

1 Like

Hi Martin, thank you for your response!

Here are the 2 most recent crash logs related to this issue.

Cubase 12-2023-01-09-213246.ips (105.5 KB)
Cubase 12-2023-01-10-094045.ips (77.1 KB)

Hi,

Could you try in the Cubase Safe Start Mode [Disable preferences], please?

Reported to Steinberg. Thank you.

1 Like

I have tried opening the project in safe mode, deleting preferences, and deactivating third party plugins. Unfortunately the project is still crashing when opening.

Might this be an issue with corrupted tracks in my template? This template was started in Cubase 10 Pro, and I have been adding to it through the last couple years as I upgraded to Cubase 11 then 12.

Thanks again Martin!