Audio Glitch Mystery Related to Disk Activity - Resolved

I’m working on a project in which I am putting together audio segments that were created in individual projects, exporting them as 24-bit stereo audio files and consolidating them end-to-end in a “master” project. I’m getting a mysterious audio glitch (for lack of better word) in one spot as follows.

One of the segments, when imported, has a brief audio degradation in the same spot every time. It’s not there if I import the problem audio segment into a project where it’s the only import. It’s not there when I bring it up in WaveLab either. In other words, the problem does not appear to be in the audio file of the imported problem segment. But when imported into my master project, the glitch is present. I’ve turned off all the effects (not many to begin with in the first place) but that changes nothing. This is straight audio mixing - two tracks, no synths, no groups, FX tracks or anything else of significance.

Furthermore, when viewing the VST Performance window, the glitch coincides with a blue flash in the Disk performance indicator. This is the only place in the 8 minute master project where this happens – at about the 3.5 minute mark. But it happens consistently and in the same place every time. There’s no doubt in my mind that the audio glitch and the disk activity indication are not coincidental. Finally, when exporting the master composite audio into a single 16-bit stereo wav file, the audio degradation remains in the exported audio. In other words, rendering in not-real-time does not bypass the problem condition.

The problem is observable when using both 7.5 and 8.0.10.

Sorry for the long-winded explanation, but I wanted to make sure I’m providing as much information as possible. I would be more than grateful for some help on this.

Are you perhaps using an external HDD? My Seagate USB3 external HDD is essentially useless with sample/audio streaming.

Perhaps the file is fragmented in an extreme way, defrag the drive (if it’s not an SSD) or try moving the file to your other drive and try the process again.

Thanks for the suggestions. I did defrag the disk and did a chkdsk for good measure before the defrag. No change.

However, I regenerated the problem clip, imported it into the master project and the problem disappeared. I do wish I understood what caused it in the first place, but at least the problem has been worked around.

Thanks, again.