"Audio Hardware Removed" error message in Cubase

Hi,

So I am having this annoying problem since very recently. When I work on my project that includes MIDI tracks and VST intruments, every so often, I have an audio “glitch” during playback where it sounds like my audio interface is briefly disconnected and immediately on my screen, this error message pops up (see also screenshot attached):

"Audio Hardware Removed
The Audio Hardware using the “Focusrite USB ASIO” audio driver was removed from the computer.
If you want to use another audio hardware, please select the corresponding ASIO driver from the list below and click “OK”
Focusrite USB ASIO
Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver "

This error message pops up and disappears almost instantly (I had to be super quick to take a screenshot when it appeared in order to read it) and then the audio reconnects and the playback continues as normal. This happen more and more frequently, every 5 minutes or so.

I suspect a problem with my hardware: my audio interface Focusrite Scarlet 2i2, the cable between the audio interface and mu laptop, or my USB ports. Is there anybody who experienced the same problem and managed to fix it? Any ideas?

Thanks a lot for your help!

I forgot to mention that I have just updated the driver of the Scarlet 2i2 and it happened after that. Before updating the driver, I was also having some problems with the audio but it was much less frequent, like disconnections, noises and sometime the whole system crashed with the blue windows screen but there was not this error message popping up.

Edit: it seems to happen more during parts of my project where the Audio Average load and realtime peak are high. Could it be that when it is overloaded, my Audio device gets temporarily disconnected?

Sounds like bad usb cable or maybe a loose connection in the cable or usb port.

I have the same problem.
Doesn’t seem to be the connection - if I play a Tamtam from the Spitfire library or a sine wave from TAL-Noisemaker it’s fine but when I play the marimba from Spitfire I get the error. This happens consistently so I’m thinking it’s something in Cubase. I cant see how Spitfire could cause the driver to be unloaded. Odd.

1 Like

Checked out my focusrite driver - all OK.
Shut down cubase
Rebooted PC
Everything works fine.
Just another Cubase instability I suppose

You understand, the driver wasn’t unloaded. The device lost its physical connection.

It seems odd then that the physical connection with Scarlett 4i4 is lost only when playing the marimba but not anything else? It works fine for other programs like Youtube.
A marimba sensitive world is a strange one indeed :-).
Seems to be working now.

What’s vibrating?

I have the UR24C on a W11 system and fixed my problem by changing the cable. I used a thinner and shorter cable.