Audio is now only Cubase-Specific?

I finally figured out how to use my headphones with Cubase using Studio Setup and stuff. One problem, now all I can hear is Cubase. Nothing else. Is that supposed to happen? Can I make it so I’m able to hear the rest of my computer along with Cubase?

Hi @FreshSoggy,

first of all: welcome to the forum!

If you’ve entered an ASIO driver, it’s always exclusively working with Cubase.
Unless… did you already try this option?

And if you decided to go with Steinberg’s Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver, then depending on your audio interfaces’ capabilities and regarding its manual routing it might even be possible to have both audio systems active in parallel (but no guarantee that this works for every configuration).

Which audio interface are you using? Windows? Mac?

Cheers,
Markus

Hi Markus, thanks for the welcome :). Anyways, I’m using Windows 10 Pro. I do have the “Release Driver when Application is in Background” thing checked off. Now another problem has risen where I can only hear the application that’s focused. Am I able to hear Cubase and another application simultaneously? Or do I just have to deal with it the way it is?

1 Like

Hi @FreshSoggy,

ah, thanks. Now I see that you’d probably might want to use some sort of virtual audio cable, including basic software mixing capabilities. For this you could try the virtual ASIO driver “Voicemeeter”, there’s a free version of it available. It may take you some time to configure / route everything the best possible way (matching sampling rates, no crackling, best buffer size), but one can actually make it work, it’s a well written tool.

I use this to use ASIO within Cubase / Dorico and at the same time record monitored audio in OBS studio.

Cheers,
Markus

This is dependent on the Driver itself & the folks who built it. I use an RME driver and that lets multiple programs talk to it. This tends not to be a feature in lower priced interfaces & has hardware dependencies. So if a driver supports this, then leave the Preference to release unchecked. But if not, enable the Preference so that what ever program has focus can take over the interface.

1 Like

@raino,

good point!

Okay, so what would the final verdict be? What program do I install and are there any links to a tutorial on how to make it work with my headphones/OS?

As it was stated it depends on the hardware and its driver.
Since you haven’t given us the information what you use, we cannot answer the question in any better way than @raino did.

Oh, what were the questions about what i use? Cause I can probably answer. I use ASIOv2 as my driver for Cubase

Hi @FreshSoggy,

but which audio interface?
And are you referring to ASIO4all?
Sadly, I still can’t get hold of your current configuration.

I second @Johnny_Moneto’s remark: we can only assist you if you told us a bit more about which audio hardware your setup includes.

Best,
Markus

Yeah, it’s ASIO4ALL v2. What exactly do you mean by audio interface? What does that reference to

@FreshSoggy,

audio interface” = “your sound card” [be it (1) an internal audio chip set like in most PCs and laptops, or (2) an additional PCI / PCIe card within a PC, or (3) an external device connected via USB / Firewire / Thunderbolt].

ASIO4 All is a so-called “driver wrapper”. It’s not really a driver, but connects various ports of various installed system audio drivers and ASIO drivers at the same time and “sells” them to Cubase as if it were a single ASIO driver.

ASIO Driver

Cheers,
Markus

Well, you see, I built my PC from the ground up and I never remembered installing a card or anything haha. I can check if my motherboard came with a built-in sound card. What would be the case if I didn’t have a sound card?

@FreshSoggy,

you can find out about a potentially built-in sound card by referring to your mainboard’s manual.
Or you can use specific hardware analysis via some software tools (like CPUInfo or Speccy).

Easiest way in Windows 10 is:
START BUTTON → right click → Device Manager → Audio, video and game controllers
or
WINDOWS KEY + R → (run) → msinfo32 → then read the specs.

If you know your mainboard’s model and chipset generation, then often you’ll be able to identify any integrated audio chipset right away.

The audio electronics soldered to a modern mainboard usually have their drivers installed via an installation CD / DVD, whenever a PC is being built up for the first time. Also, Microsoft have lots of certified Plug&Play drivers in their driver catalogue. BUT there are almost never any ASIO drivers involved, as these (usually) only come with dedicated audio hardware (internal / external “audio interfaces”). And these ASIO (“Audio System In Out”) drivers are supposed to circumvent the Windows multimedia driver system (with its often much higher latencies and restricted internal port choices).

Cheers,
Markus

Under what “Item” would my sound card be located? What would it be called? Not the value but the item name

@FreshSoggy,

in Windows Device Manager, you’d always have a distinct device category like this (I’m using the German version of Windows 10, but it’s named in a similar way in the English version, I’m sure you’ll find it):

As you can see, my lenovo ThinkPad’s internal audio device is from Realtek, but the external M-Audio USB card is also visible. I could also plug in my Steinberg USB interface, then this one would appear in the list.

Cheers,
M

So I’m in this menu, what would be considered as my sound card? Or at least, what would be the important thing to take from it?
Example for Markus

@FreshSoggy,

“NVIDIA High Definition Audio” belongs to your graphics card, it’s only there to enable HDMI audio capabilities.

Yeti Stereo Microphone seems to have its own analog-to-digital (AD) converter, so it’s only “Audio IN”.

Most probably, your internal audio chipset has stereo IN / OUT ports with the “High Definition Audio Device”. Might still be better if you’d manage to determine your exact mainboard manufacturer / model.

Greetings,
M

Oh, well I know the exact motherboard model and manufacturer. I don’ t know if you’d need it or not so I’ll just tell you. I have the MSI B450 Tomahawk, Manufacturer is MSI

1 Like

Also, I’d like to thank you for taking the time to help me. It means a lot to me because I’m very new to this. So once again, thank you very much

1 Like