Audio Mixdown - poor WAV quality

Similar/same? issue here too. Sounds quite different in Cubase than as a file. Will try the suggestions above. Hope I don’t need an external program after spending so much money on a DAW.

Other than that major issue, Cubase is so much easier to use these days and I am happy with it Many improvements since version 6 when I last used it.

Thanks goes out to those above for trying to help!

In case anyone comes across this looking for answers, here is a possible solution.
For me, it was not a speaker or headphones or any gear problem. It was NOT a “learn how to mix” issue either.
And no, an external program wasn’t needed.

It was a rookie mistake. When you open a project in Cubase, be sure to look toward the top for anything where the font is a different color than the rest and click on it. I noticed this when I went back in to troubleshoot. Cubase was very helpful because it was indicating to me EXACTLY what the problems were.

For whatever reason, that particular project had no inputs set AND had project properties which do not match my audio interface. Once I fixed those two things and did a Downmix to MP3 with "“Real Time Export” checked, the problem appeared to be solved. It sounds very close to how it does in Cubase. Hope that helps someone out there.

POSSIBLE SOLUTION!
So i realise its a long time since the op but i had problems and it turned out to be sound card programs i didnt even know i had…im on hp pavillion using cubase 5. export sounded rubbish through vlc/winamp/media player and so exported in evey different setting possible. no difference. found that dts audio control was installed (was in start menu) and it was not panned 100 left and right so made the mix sound muddy because of panning. not cubase fail but playback problem. if you have problems like this make a group track and then send everything to it obviously stereo, then pan the group track hard right. if there is any bleed on left when listening through vlc etc… then check through your soundcard programs which may be in your start menu. pan 100 left 100 right. kill the bleed!

I felt totally ripped off when I realised that there was no CD burner with Cubase Pro 9 having spent £445.

Every DAW has a CD burner apart from Cubase. Wavelab is another £440 if I want a CD burner that corresponds with Cubase!

I did not like Pro Tools as it was awkward on purpose just to look like it was very in-depth and professional but it wasn`t anything outstanding.

In the past I used Mixcraft 7 which is what I now send my Cubase completed song WAVs to in order to burn a CD. The Mastering software in Mixcraft is excellent but the guitars do not sound as good as Cubase by about 15%. Shame - otherwise I would have not gone near Cubase.

To help with poor quality WAV exports from Cubase I use outboard gear. This makes the completed WAV sound better than the virtual inserts in Cubase.