Audio on Windows

This isn’t specific to Dorico, and please feel free to delete if it’s not allowed. But does anyone else find Windows audio to be the absolute most fetid, festering pile of smoldering garbage ever to disgrace the earth? I don’t see how anyone could ship something so bad. I’m so frustrated right now. All the audio on my computer works except Dorico, and no combination of settings will make it work. I have a Realtek audio card that I’ve tried both with exclusive mode and without, and I’ve tried with the Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver and also with Flex ASIO, and… there are just not that many settings to fiddle with, and I’ve fiddled with them all. I get silence in all cases. It used to work (marginally), but I’ve been trying to figure this out for months and months.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but it’s 1 a.m. and I just had to put this somewhere. :frowning:

Sorry to hear that you’re having problems getting playback with Dorico, but don’t worry: we will be able to help you. Please do Help > Create Diagnostic Report and attach the resulting zip file here, and my colleague @Ulf will undoubtedly know what to suggest.

That’s right :smiley:

Thanks for the help @Ulf ! Here’s the file; maybe you can see something in it.
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (349.9 KB)

Doesn’t your sound card come with its own ASIO driver?

I’m not 100% sure, but I don’t think so. When I go to Dorico’s Device Setup, in the ASIO Driver menu I only have two options (the ones I mentioned).

Which realtek is it?

Thanks for the diagnostics. Actually, it does not look that bad, at least not with the project that you had open when you created the diagnostics. The device mappings look fine and so on. The only thing I see is, that you don’t have any VSTinstrument loaded for playing back. It somehow fails, but I also can’t see what was actually supposed to get loaded.
What if you go to the Play menu and choose there the Playback Template… item and in that dialog then the HSSE+HSO template. Will that then make sound?

The most I can tell is that the name is Realtek High Definition Audio(SST), and the driver version is 6.0.8975.1. The “Inf section” variable contains the value “IntcAzAudModel.NTamd64,” if that’s relevant.

Unfortunately not. That option was already selected; I tried to reselect it, but it did not make any sound.

Let’s wait then for the remote session later today.

Update: the problem was actually not with the audio driver at all. The problem was that I had installed Dorico 5 without installing the HALion Sonic 7.0.20 instrument, and my playback template was trying to use an instrument that wasn’t installed. Thanks to @Ulf for helping me figure that out.

1 Like