Audio qualitity decrease after record miditrack

After I recorded a midi track the sound quality has decreased.
When I recorded in Cubase4 and another record in Audacity the same problem occured. :frowning:
I record with a Roland cakewalk UA-25EX. Should be reasonable quality.
Any suggestions what I could try?
Thanks a lot for your help !

Can you describe a bit more (step-wise) what you did?

Also - when you say the audio quality decreased … did you mute the MIDI track before you played the audio? It’s possible the MIDI might have been recorded just a smidgeon out of sync with the audio, and you are hearing the results of phasing between the two tracks.

Yes I did mute the midi track.
By comparing the to tracks, the original sound is “full bright” hifi stereo.
The record in cubase (and also in audacity) are like mono - it is a big difference . . .
Could it be something like: recording with a laptop HP dv6 - usb connected soundcard UA-25EX?
Thanks for your reply ! :slight_smile:

You really need to provide more details if you want to get help. For instance, what are you driving with your midi track? Is it a VSTi. Is it an external synth? When you are playing the midi track, are you listening through cubase or something else? You really need to tell us how things are set up and exactly what you are doing.

Ron

I recorded in the following setting:
Computer (HP dv6 type 2120ed) connected to:

1. usb soundcard Roland UA-25EX
  2. usb steinberg midex8
    I’ve two instruments I work with:
  3. Yamaha Tyros3
  4. Korg Kronos
    The instruments are midi connected via midex8 channel 1 and 2 (both instr. connected in and out)
    The instruments are audio connected to a mixer: Fostex 812
    Korg input 1 and 2
    Yamaha input 3 and 4
    The mixer is audio connected aux to the usb soundcard.

I also tried to record the Tyros3 connected straight to the soundcard.
All these settings without good results.
In Cubase6.5 I record in 16bit / 44.1
The usb soundcard also in this setting

I have doubts about three points:

1. The laptop
  2. Settings of Cubase
  3. Settings of the Soundcard
    Before I make a list of settings maybe you will react first.

I appreciate your comments A LOT !!! :wink:

OK - so you have external synths being controlled by midi tracks in Cubase.

The audio output of your synths are being sent through an analog mixer and then to your audio interface.

You say that after you record your sound quality decreases. Decreased compared to what? Are you listening at the analog mixer? Or are you monitoring in Cubase? Where exactly are you listening to your synths and deciding they sound good. I’m trying to determine if it is before or after the audio has been digitized.

BTW - I would suggest bumping to 24-bit. 16-bit gives you very little dynamic range to play with.

Ron

The soundquality is decreasing when comparing the miditrack and audiotrack.
I’ll record an audiotrack by connecting in and out from instrument to the ua25ex.
I’ll take out the mixer and connect the ua25ex straight to the amplifier.
Another example of decreasing soundquality:
The Korgs e.piano effect is going from left to right channel.
In the audiorecorded this effect is “0”. :confused:

Sorry - but I still don’t understand.

Miditrack doesn’t produce audio directly. so “comparing midi track and audio track” doesn’t really tell me anything.

I understand that you use Cubase to play the miditrack, which in turn causes your synths to play audio. I understand that that audio is fed to your Roland audio interface, and is in turn recorded via Cubase to a file.

What I am not understanding, is how you are listening to the audio to determine the before “good” and the after “bad”.

I assume that the after “bad” audio is you playing the recently recorded audio track back out to your Roland audio interface and either listening with headphones hooked to tha audio interface, or else through some monitor setup hooked to your Roland.

But no where do you tell me how you listen to the “good” audio that you are playing with your midi track.

In other words Cubase is playing the midi track, which causes your synths to output audio.
That audio goes to a mixer.
The output of that mixer goes to the audio interface.
The audio gets digitized

Are you listening at the mixer? Are you listening to the audio straight off of your Roland Audio Interface?

As I said before I’m trying to determine if you are monitoring the “good” audio before or after the A/D convertor.

Ron

If this happened with one synth connected directly to your interface then you are most likely either using a mono input as source for your audio track in Cubase, or something later in the chain is mixing your monitor signal to mono.

Check
-That you have set up your inputs properly under “VST connections” you’d want at least one stereo input pointing to the correct device ports of the Roland (input 1 and input 2 or similar)
-That you are creating a stereo track for audio recording and use the input you just set up
-Connect one of your synths in stereo directly to your Roland and plug a pair of headphones into the same for monitoring
-If you record a sound with heavy panning from left to right and then play it back you should now hear the effect and see the waveform and meters of the track change accordingly
-If it still sounds dull and you can’t hear any panning effects then proceed with checking the “Outputs” and “Control Room” sections of “VST Connections”, since your interface is fairly simple you should probably stick with not using the Control room for now, if it’s active then turn it off and setup one stereo output channel under “Outputs”, connected to output ports 1 and 2 or similar. (make sure that this output is also your “mix bus”)

And last but not least, RTFM, page 14-30, it tells you about all of the above and more.

/A

I think this is the crucial part: Your audio interface has one stereo input, so if you feed it from your mixer’s AUX (I assume a stereo AUX!) you’re either sending a different signal there than the one going to your amp, plus you might be mixing both synths’ outputs to the same stereo input to your PC. And indeed, change to 24 bits, much more headroom.

Then there’s also the interface stereo output; does this take the same (or similar) route through your mixer to the amp (your ears)?

Right - he said that he has the same problem when he feeds a synth directly to the roland. That’s why I was wondering where he was monitoring the input. I suspect that he’s monitoring prior to the A/D and things sound fine. But somewhere he’s got a mono signal getting recorded.

One test would be to plug headphones into the audio interface and then use the direct monitor feature of the audio interface. If it’s stereo there, then the signal feeding the A/D is fine. If it’s not stereo there, then the problem is prior to the audio interface.

He says he has the same issue in audacity - which makes me think it is not a cubase setup problem.

Ron

Will there come a Cubaseversion so we can record in 64 bit ? :slight_smile:
Thanks for your answer,
Big Bear

No