Audio Reproduction Issue

Hi all,

I’m having an issue with the reproduction of the audio material in Cubase 13: it isn’t fluid. When I press the spacebar, the cursor starts “jumping” from one place to the next, reproducing only a portion of the audio in it, while also crackling and popping. This makes every project unlistenable.

I own a Dell Inspiron 15 (Windows) with an Intel i7 and 16 GB RAM.

Any ideas about what could be the problem?

Thank you very much in advance.

What audio driver and device do you use?
Did it work ok but just started doing this? What changed in the meantime?..windows updates perhaps?

It does this both with the Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver (integrated into the PC) and the Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO that I use with my UR22-C.
Until yesterday it worked ok. It did it occasionally, like after 10 minutes of reproduction, but RAM cleaning or restarting the DAW used to resolve the problem. I can’t figure out anything that has changed, the only thing that I did was open an AAF file on Cubase for the first time. It started doing this on that project and since then it has happened on every project I opened.

Check you have no plugins in the control room (that will open across projects and maybe got corrupted)
Check for hard drive problems by moving a small project to a different drive.

Pay attention to the performance metering…is it showing any overload?

There could be a conflict if you are making both audio interfaces available; I’m not saying that they would work together, but they could have (or not) a conflict if the UR22 is set to a high buffer size (no crackling, but latency) and the internal interface has a different buffer (smaller) size. I use an external interface (RME) and have my internal audio shut off; but I’m not using a laptop, so you may need the internal audio. Since you’re using a Steinberg audio interface with Cubase, you really shouldn’t have any problems.
Also, some third party plugins are RAM hungry (not even mentioning the number of tracks in use) and have built latency. In mixer window, you can have the latency of each plugin show on it’s effects strip. I have 64G of RAM with my i7 on windows 10 and I can run way more tracks than I need…so far.
Maybe try shutting off the internal audio card when you are using Cubase and your UR22. Also, if your laptop is running hot, this can happen.
Grim also has some good advice here.

I solved the issue by lowering the buffer size of both drivers. Now it works perfectly.

Thank you very much for your advice :slight_smile: