Audio->Statistics - True Peak Reading

Hello everyone

I’m having a client that wants me to master a voice over recording at -17.7 LUFS and -0.3dbTP

I put a L1 Ultramaximizer on the master with output ceiling of -0.3 and I adjusted the threshold until I got -17.7 LUFS. So far so good

But now when I try to measure the True Peak level I get confusing results from different sources

Youlean shows -0.3
RX shows +1.14
Cubase Audio->Statistics shows +1.02

Tried different limiters but the results are always the same and always inconsistent.

What am I doing wrong and how do I correct it in order to get the proper True Peak value desired by the client?

Thank you very much!

Kind Regards

Silly question, but did you render the audio through the limiter before you ran audio → statistics?

Assuming you did, then something somewhere is adjusting the gain after the limiter.

Is the limiter post fader? It should be.

Do you have any plugins after the limiter?

I did run statistics after I rendered, yes

The Limiter is post-fader, last on the chain, nothing after it.

I should mention that the project is 48kHz, 24 bit and the Limiter is working on stereo mode since it’s on the stereo out channel, while I export to 44,1kHz, 16 bit, mono because that’s what the client requires

I don’t know if that’s of any significance

I could be wrong but I think that you can get different values on export if you sample rate convert. “can”…

I would try importing the 44.1kHz file, running a brickwall on it, then re-measuring it. Also, unless the client is silly you could simply aim lower than -0.3dBFS peak. I mean, it’s not like anyone is going to hear the difference between that and -1.5dBFS true peak.

I’ve never rendered in mono, but I guess it’s plausible it could change the peak. Try rendering in stereo to see if that’s it.

Oh, duh… I missed that.

Yes, limit on the channel configuration you’re delivering and probably in that sample rate too.

So I exported the VO raw and mastered it in Ozone Standalone. However Ozone Standalone doesn’t allow you to export in mono… So I exported it in stereo. LUFS was good(-17.8), True Peak was good(-0.3).
Then I put it back in Cubase and exported it in mono. LUFS was the same, but True Peak was 1db louder(+0.3) all of a sudden…

Any ideas?

It’s because of the conversion to mono. I think you’re going to need to limit it in mono to start with.

1 Like

So yeah the solution was to create a Mono Out track in Cubase and do the mastering there. After the export to mono everything was ok.

Thank you all for the help! :slight_smile: