Audio to Midi chords : Chord names and enharmony

Hello to all,

The new feature of chord recognition from audio to the chord track is really great in cubase 12.
Unfortunately, it seems that the tool doesn’t know the rules of music theory very well (yes I am a music teacher :stuck_out_tongue:).
For example, a song in D major (which has no transposition) cannot contain a G flat minor chord. It must be an F sharp minor chord.
And no matter how hard I look, I can’t find a way to name the chords according to the harmony rule. Even with the correct key.
Does anyone know a solution? If not, this is a real request for the next update. Because in front of the students it confuses them and it can even destroy the future career (well, I’m exaggerating a bit here :hugs:).

Thank you all, and long live music theory!

Well, that’s debatable since the notes are enharmonically the same, scale tone III. So it’s a spelling error, it names the correct note, and the correct chord type albeit with the wrong spelling.

Of course, to respell, it’s as simple as clicking on the Enharmonic shift parameter in the Info Line

I also teach. I would not encourage a student to use any kind of automated chord analysis, personally, I would insist that they use their own ears. And if they refuse, I ask if they actually appreciate those ears, or, if I might cut them off to give them to my poor students who are earless.

I mean, what would Kodály have said?

1 Like

Hi steve,
So it was in the info line!!! but where was my head. :nerd_face:

Absolutely agree with you. I work with young students too(7-10 years old). We use the chord track as a kind of “chord karaoke” to play with boomwhackers (tubes that can only play one note each). And they have to follow the chord names and know if their note is part of the chord or not. It’s a simple exercise but it’s a fun way to start learning chords.

But of course Kodály was right (and still is).
It’s funny that you quote him because I live in Hungary myself!

Anyway, thanks for the help.

“To teach a child an instrument without first giving him preparatory training and without developing singing, reading and dictating to the highest level along with the playing is to build upon sand.”
Zoltán Kodály

2 Likes

It was easy to help…

I so completely agree with Kodály’s ideas, I use the rhythm syllables – fastest way I ever saw to teach rhythms and reading, they learn conceptually and do the practice simultaneously.

Another thing I incorporate from ZK is the idea that the best way to learn is to start from the known, to introduce the unknown eg., using folk songs children learn almost before they can really talk to teach the concepts.

Shinichi Suzuki came to some of the same conclusions, but in a completely different orientation.

What you’re doing sounds like a lot of fun, and I bet it works great.

2 Likes