Audio tracks stop playing but VST instruments continue

I recently began working with audio files instead of just VST instruments and MIDI. After this (and after updating to Cubase 6.0.5 from the previous non-Beta update), I have run into a big problem where frequently the audio tracks do not play but the Instrument or MIDI Track(s) do.

This can happen in the middle of playback but most often occurs when I start playback. Starting and stopping playback once or twice fixes it, but it occurs often, about one-third of the time, so it is frustrating.

I have been looking for a post citing similar difficulties, but have not yet seen one. (Of course, posts move fast on this forum.)

I have Cubase 6.0.5 64-bit running under Windows 7 64-bit. My computer is an i7 and its memory is 16GB. My Audio Interface is an RME FireFace and the Buffer Size is set to 1024 samples.

:astonished:

What is your hard drive setup?

My audio clips and VST samples are on different drives. I keep the audio clips under the Steinberg User Content folder located on my SSD boot drive at C:\Users[Name]\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Content\VST Sound\User Content. All other samples and sounds were installed on a large standard secondary internal drive. :unamused:

Try streaming the audio from your sample drive to see if its the SSD