Audio warp (is it possible)

Is it possible to save audio warp makers?

Tonight I started messing about with Cubase to make mix cds (as in djing), I used to use Ableton but wanted to see if I’d be able to get the same results with Cubase using audio warp. So far so good, however it dawned on me that unless I’m able to save the markers I’ll have to rewarp my tracks every time.

So is it possible?
I’m being lazy by the way because I haven’t scanned the maunaul yet but thought someone might have a quick answer for me…

Anyway, so I stoped being lazy and went through the manaul and I can’t find anything. I’m guessing its not possible, which is a shame.

It would be good if you could, even if you could save the hitpoints so that you could create warp tabs from hitpoints.

I’m not quite sure what you mean, but can’t you just fill in the original BPM of the track in the pool and enable musical mode? This way every track is beatmatched instantly to the main tempo.

Right. Go to the Media Bay and scan the folder where your music is settled on your computer.
Now add a tempo or even add a root key for the tracks and they can be played in time but also in tune (if you define a root key for the project).

I’m not sure about this, but I guess you can save hitpoints within a .wav-file and you can always create warp ankers from hitpoints.

Best regards.

Edit: Ok, checked it. Not possible to save hitpoints in a .wav.

You can and I do, but you need to use audio warp also, otherwise it drifts and the the mix isn’t tight.
I’ll use musical mode to get the beats lined up quickly and then I’ll use audio warp to tighten things up.

I have to say though that I’m pretty impressed so far. I hadn’t considered Cubase for this sort of thing as it just wasn’t possible when Ableton first came on the scene. I did give it a go once but it was to much hard work and the results weren’t all that. I’d say it’s pretty much on par with Ableton now due to audio warp and the new time stretch algorithms.

Thanks for your suggestion. I’m aware of the media bay (key/bpm,ect) just wasn’t sure if it was possible to save hitpoint information. I’m pretty sure that I’ve seen loops with hitpoint tags in media bay though so I’m not coviced it’s not possible yet…

There’s a feature request right now related to this topic. I guess it’s not possible yet but I don’t have a a chance to try out right now.
Maybe it’s just some clicks to handle it like a REX-file.

You can take a track and use the timewarp tool to make the cubase tempo follow the audio. Once you do that then use the set definition from tempo dialog. Set it to write definition to audio files. The you can delete the tempo track. Set the files track and pool to musical mode. The audio will now stretch to any tempo. And can be imported to new projects with various tempo.

Great tip!
You can also use the “Tempo detection panel” to extract the tempo of an audio track to the tempo track instant.

Sounds interesting… I’ll give it a go when I get the chance.

Can you add your own tempo anchors or does cubase add it’s own?
If I can add my own then this would probably be the best way to go about things.

Yes, you can define your own by warping or marking the tempo grid with the timewarp tool.

I am confused about “Write Definition to Audio Files” for one that is not mentioned anywhere in the manual. Can someone please help me with what exactly that writes to the file? It seems to write only one time signature and what it starts with. Attached are pictures of the step by step process of

1. importing a file with no tempo map (where Cubase came up with a number I do not know see picture 1)
  2. After Tempo mapping the file.
  3. Tempo fluctuates but shows in the pool 95.8 BPM with a time signature of 1/4 but once the music starts it goes to 4/4.
  4. Set Definition from Tempo… to the selected file.
  5. Write Tempo to Audio File (the new wav file in the audio pool, the old MP3 is still sitting on the desktop).
  6. Create a new Cubase project and import the tempo defined audio file from the first session. For some reason, the tempo changes 95.44 BPM in the audio pool from 95.8 BPM.
  7. All the beats seem to line up in the sample editor, okay and it is in one four not four four since it started with One Four
  8. Select the audio region and choose “Set Tempo From Event”
  9. So Cubase will set the tempo based on the range selection. Set left and right markers and then choose “Set Tempo from Event” again.
  10. After all that a dialog pops up and reads “No Tempo Change Necessary”

I don’t understand what I am doing wrong and why it is not reading the tempo maps that are part of the audio file in the new project. The tempo map clearly carried over with the file because all the blue lines are lining up with the beat in picture 7 but it is not mapping out the tempo nor is the file mapping properly to the tempo of the second session.

I think maybe all I need to do is enable musical mode from the AudioWarp tab in the sample editor (which I think is the same thing as enabling Musical Mode in the Definitions tab in the Sample Editor). I am not sure what the “Set Tempo From Event” function is even for.

So Greg shows this feature How to Use Tempo Warp in Cubase | Q&A with Greg Ondo - YouTube

“What it’s doing now it is embedding the tempo into every single beat”
3:39 for me the audio never embeds into the audio files. If I import into another session it is not aware of the tempo changes, I have a drum loop that increases tempo that is completely mapped to the tempo change but when I import the audio file that I “Write Definition to Audio Files” it has no awareness of the tempo in the file. I even “Set Tempo From Event” in the new session and it doesn’t follow the embedded tempo info.

I am clearly missing something here. Is it safe to say that “Set Tempo From Event” has no relation to “Write Definition to Audio Files?” I can use “Set Tempo From Event” on any random audio file. All I need to do is select how many measures the audio region is and make sure the time signature lines up and then select the audio region and the tempo will line up with the audio file as long as there is no tempo variation.

What I am after is Cubase knowing all the tempo fluctuations in the audio file and being able to map them in a new session.