Auditioning on a mono monitor at the touch of a button

My wife is already not too happy about hanging all the bass traps… I’m sure I can figure something out with the LCD mount. It’s one of these… very sturdy and you can add an extension poll to the top:

Ah yes…wives :laughing:

I think we all have that problem… I sort of solved it by using a 24" wide screen and a 19" 4:3 monitor, like you can see here: http://www.soundbyte.nl/SoundByteCtlRoom.jpg The Tannoys are the main monitors, and when it’s time to check mixes I sort of move the wide screen in front of the other so the NS10s can be used.

Luck, Arjan

The ns10s seem to be in the right position–an equilateral triangle. Not sure what the rules are for bigger monitors but if the same rule applies, they are way too far apart. I would imagine stereo imaging would be too spread and that virtual center would be very unstable.

The Tannoys are midfields, and as such they have a wider spread anyway (nearfields are basically ‘open air headphones’, so position is more important there). For an ideal position they should be a bit more to the back, but I have my room constraints, so now and then I just lean back and listen. Good practice anyway, now and then :smiley:

Luck, Arjan

Story of my life :wink:

Ive tried Fm transmitting from my nokia n97 to car stereo and the quality is unbearable. Only way still is to burn the rw cd. Nowadays i make on genelec 8020, mix on mackie hr828 and check in car, iphone and mpb has also fabolus speakers to check highs. Anyone tried to check their mixes on VRM BOX ? Worth the time and money? Happy new year

This book waxed poetic about how the perfect combination for the small/home studio was a pair of unported nearfields and a single mono Avantone Mixcube (or the original Auratone). The key is the ability to switch back and forth almost pathologically throughout the mix process… and control room with a macro button does that perfectly.

While it’s always good to export a mix and test it elsewhere, the book I read made it sound like you pretty much are 99% of the way there with the speaker combo I mentioned. It’s just too hard and too delayed to generate a mixdown to test elsewhere.

Yes you are. It’s been only couple of times I had to come back to my studio after listening my mixes in other environments … thanks to 3 sets of speakers: Genelec 1032s, KEF C15s and single Auratone 5S. If my mix is balanced in every one of these sets, it should be ok almost everywhere.

You have an original Auratone… nice.

Yep! Got it from the auction of the biggest commercial TV station down here when they dismantled their analog studio and went to digital. The best €20 I’ve ever spent. Also got a Revox A77 (which I unfortunately later traded for SPX990) … almost auctioned a HUGE analog console (don’t remember model/brand anymore), but unfortunately hesitated because didn’t know how to transport it to my place.

Nice. I need to find some auctions…

Funny how the SPX990 dated but the A77 is still quite useful. I have an SPX90 mkII that sits looking rather sad at times, but I still like it’s early reflection program.

Out of curiosity, how heavy is the active avatone mixcube (single cube)?