Augusta Holmès project

I just read and watched the blog of the discussion between @Lillie_Harris and @pianoLeo about their project to engrave Augusta Holmès’ massive piece.

I highly recommend checking it out at Dorico helps bring Augusta Holmès’ “Ode Triomphale” to life since its first and last performance back in 1889 – Dorico.

Congratulations on getting to work on this exciting project.

Any chance of offering a tease of an audio snippet to get a sense of the piece (unless that’s in violation of any agreements you might have)?

7 Likes

Thanks @lafin !

A number of people have expressed an interest in seeing excerpts of the score and/or hearing some of the audio (I probably should have prepared a few examples prior to us publishing it, but you know how it is, there’s always something else to do and as we discuss in the chat, this enormous project isn’t finished yet…)

Hopefully we’ll be able to share an update further down the line, as the project leader/originator Diana Ambache hopes to get the work recorded and performed.

But in the meantime, I have been looking for a few examples that demonstrate some of the notation “issues” and workflows that Leo and I discussed, to help put those comments into context – and to share Augusta’s work! I imagine they’ll only end up being added to the blog post, rather than the video.

Any audio example we share would be an approximate mock-up using software sounds, of course! For now at least (watch this space for developments on the getting-the-work-recorded project…)

9 Likes

Update: I’ve now added to the blog post a few examples of the score, both from the scan of the original handwritten manuscript and of the Dorico project (still in-progress engraving-wise), and a short mock-up audio excerpt from the very end of the work, where the Ode is at its most Triomphale. Enjoy!

10 Likes

That’s some great bombast (in the most positive sense)!