Authorization Options Like Dorico?

Sure, there are. I’ve got Audacity and Cubase and DP… but I don’t just record on the road; I also mix and master. I prefer working with Nuendo, and simply recording is only part of it. On my last out of town project, referenced above, having cycle marker export and offline processing available would have saved me hours of work.

Nuendo does things that the others don’t, and those exclusive features (and the convenience of keeping everything in the same file package, and…well, the bottom line is that I think you’re missing the point here, which is the dongle can be a real inconvenience, and there’s already an “in-company” solution in place for several of Steinberg’s products-- so why not Nuendo as well?

Chewy

PS It’s not just about convenience, by the way. At least equal issues are the financial risk packing around that dongle represents, and the song and dance required to replace it if broken or lost. Comments about insuring it will be considered as seriously missing the point. :sunglasses:

I would like to add to this thread few remarks. Industry is changing Post production is not only big house with big computers (and huge fat ProTolls DSP dongles :slight_smile: anymore…

My observations:

1. I broke my dongle on travels twice
  2. I always have small USB hub with me (I use Mac and on having Mac on legs and use USB ports is very uncomfortable)
  3. Plenty of plugin developers with iLok license still restrict to USB dongle as well

=> I am OK with dongle. I would like to see SW auth, but preferably smaller dongle is better option (ultra thin profile for USB like for keyboards) and I would like to see something like time based authorization - for example for 1-2 hour without dongle (you have to start Nuendo with key but freely remove for certain period). It might be handy for quick switch from USB hub etc, traveling on plane etc.

A follow up on the soft Elicenser subject…
I just found out that you can install soft Elicenser on the dongle. I was registering a copy of wavelab elements 9 and still had the demo license on the hard drive.
As you can see in attachment below, the demo license resides on the hard drive while the bought one is on the dongle.

So this license is able to be tied to a machine or movable.

I just read that the new Halion will use the soft-licencer as well.
FINGERS SERIOUSLY CROSSED for the same option with Nuendo 7.5