Authorize and Use Wavelab 8 Without USB Elicensor

The dongle is fine, but not as the only solution. A dongle + machine authorization or remote login via account is needed. As I’m sure you’re aware, choice is limited by more than just copy protection- just because I use it doesn’t mean I am comfortable with that aspect, but it means I made the trade-off. Any user would also be unaware of how wildly insecure eLCC is before buying-- apparently, anyone with their own key can just connect it and drag licenses from another connected key to theirs, with no account verification.

Understood. But if you made the trade-off and accept the trade off - why complain about the tradeoff?

It’s crystal clear that Steinberg has it’s reasons for their copy protection methods and there is little you and I can do about it. It’s use it - or don’t use it.

Would hate to see Steiny change up and bow down - just to watch less than “honest” people get hold of current products and pirate the crap out of them like they did 7-10 years ago.

To be honest - I have personally never seen an “unlicensed” copy of WL7 or 8 (or any high end Steinberg product for that matter) anywhere in my travels in the last 5 years - compared with what I saw back in the V5/v6 days. Seems every studio I visited back then had some “freebie” off in the corner. Sad but true.

The dongle works. Long term - that’s is a good thing for all of us.

VP

What, you think they are responsible for your memory?

if it stops working one day, my license is gone.

Untrue - a faulty key can be replaced so long as you provide appropriate proof; just don’t expect that to be so easy for a lost one, though! Inconvenient? yes, but so’s a failure of any part of your computer.

Paul

You guys seem to be missing the point(s), but still want to critique it. These arguments are well-worn and based on backwards or irrelevant logic, from my view. But that’s ok, no hard feelings- I simply wanted to add to what the original poster was saying for anyone who reads, and I think I will actually voice it to Steinberg, FWIW. Carry on…

From my view - the only irrelevant logic in here was from the OP - whose only intent seemed to be to try to generate sympathy and/or support from the fact that he has purchased exactly one copy of the software but of course feels slighted that he can’t treat it like multiple copies whenever the mood strikes or that he cannot seem to remember his USB key when he needs it most.

But you are correct about one thing - this is a well worn argument - and it’s one that will only ever have one correct answer.

VP