Auto Save .bak files to their own folder

Here it is, almost 2022, and we still don’t have the ability to auto save .bak files for a project into their own folder. I have wasted SO MUCH time over the years searching through a myriad of .bak files to find the Nuendo project file to load.
Please help, Steinberg. Thank you.

9 Likes

Maybe mark this as a feature request? This would be very useful.

Thanks - good idea - just marked it as a feature request.

Yes, get those .bak files out of my face please.

Yes, this has been requested for what seems like years, but it is constantly ignored by Steinberg. It can not be that difficult to implement - Steinberg programmers are among the best in the World (and the known universe).

1 Like

+1 for this

+1, it’s an old request.
there’s already another thread at:

1 Like

Get .bak to where you once belonged, Jojo.

3 Likes

+1 for this, and…

I want that, after using the “Save new version” file function, all the old .NPR files are put in the same folder you propose.
I have a shortcut for the “Save new version” file function, in order to prevent crashes and my self-stupid-actions, and I put manually a lot of .NPR files with .CSH files and .BAK files in a folder. When my work is finished after months, I delete it.

+1 for this…

I vote for an option to have the automatic backup files (.bak) stored in a separate folder other than the main project folder.

3 Likes

I was just thinking about this today and was going to post about it. I miss the ability to manage the folder structure that PT and Reaper provide and like my back up files tucked neatly out of site.

+1. I would so like this. It seems like such an obvious thing to do so either it’s way, way down Steinberg’s priority list or it’s a more complicated change than I think it is (or maybe both!)

+1 organization is key!

+1. Will be very cool to have this feature in Cubase for sure!

I always open my projects (800 per year) with the HUB.

The hub only displays the original project / file. Only in emergencies, when I really need the backup, I do look in the physical folder.
Especially since a backup file that has been moved does not know whether its parent folder contains the real audio files. So this is really very unnecessary.
To open files we have the HUB.

… if we just could hide the advertising-section there. Gives the whole thing the appeal of a freeware-app.

I’d appreciate a separate folder as well.

@Dietz
If you use special file managers like DirectoryOpus, you can even hide the *.bak files.

Since we work on hundreds of customer projects, the hub (recent projects) is more convenient for us than looking for the customer numbers in the file manager every time.

Yep, and that’s the way you work.
The hub doesn’t work when you work on different computers. I have 6 studio’s and various people work on the same project. The Hub is worthless in that case because you are not sure if you work on the latest version of the project.

Op 28 juli 2022 bij 15:43:27, THambrecht via Steinberg Forums (notifications@steinberg.discoursemail.com) schreef:

1 Like