Auto Save .bak files to their own folder

I was referring to the graphical appearance of the Hub, you can’t hide the “ads”-section on the left there. :wink:

+1 for this

1 Like

+1. If they can organise the images/peak files into a folder, why not this?

3 Likes

This doesn’t work because the *.bak files need the relative path in front of the audio and edits folders. For the images/peak files, the relative folder position is fixed programming.
However, the *.bak files need the same relative folder structure and path position as the project files.
The project files and *.bak files always look for the Audio / Edit / Images folder in the same path.

If the *bak files were in a subfolder you would have to search “above” their structure. Now the *.bak files are only copies of the project files. Therefore, they cannot even be searched * in * the folder and in * front * of the folder.

Projectfile needs always the structure:
— Audio
— Edits
— Image

And the *.bak file is a copy of the projectfile.
So it needs ** the same folder structure **.

If the *.bak file were in a separate folder, the folder structure would no longer be found. And the project wouldn’t open!!

Thanks for the thorough explanation. Did you manage to find out how Pro Tools and Adobe Audition can pull this off? I tried to convert my team from audition to Nuendo, but such messy bak files are one of the letdowns.

As opposed to Adobe Audition which can manage its backup files in a folder, it can’t manage its peak files in one folder, which Nuendo/Cubase can manage into the “Image” folder.

Totally. +1

I have no idea how other programs like proTools or Adove manage this. But I know that Cakewalk Sonar has also stored the bak files in the same folder. We always start our customer projects with the hub and have a numerical system. That’s why I don’t come into contact with the bak files at all.
But Adobe can’t come close to doing what Nuendo can do. Especially if you want to work a lot with DOP.

But bak files are always just copies of the project file. This should therefore be very similar in all programs.

That issue could most likely be solved with three lines of code (estimated roughly). :wink:

Protools puts them into a Session Backups Folder

If it were up to me personally, I would also manage the backups in a separate folder - but give the option to search for the backup within the hub. Because not everyone has the knowledge to find the backups in a subfolder using a file manager.

1 Like