Auto-Save not working properly

I don’t know what kind of agenda you’re on here, but yeah, maybe it was only 10 to 15 minutes. Or 5 to 10. My memory might fail me, it was some tIme ago.
Happy now?

whatever, bug is reported and under investigation.

See: Why isn't my Nuendo creating .bak backups every 5 minutes as I have set in preferences? - #18 by nogills

so, your suggestion is to set auto-save every 5 mins? I’m not sure I understood the relation to Nuendo.

0.5, not 5

sounds interesting, I can try it for testing, but not for daily work… since every 0.5 seconds, it would be quite disruptive (as many times as it works) because while the project is auto-saving it is not possible to work…

^ 30 seconds (half a minute, not half a second)

I’m going to keep an eye too. I hadn’t paid any attention to this so far.

2 Likes

every 30 seconds would also be quite disruptive…

Please understand that we’re troubleshooting – not really looking to “fix” the issue, but to collect info in hopes of finding a pattern, and then create a bug report from the result of this “research”. If a workaround is found, that’s nice too.

3 Likes

Hi all, after a recent crash while mixing, and seeing that auto-save had stopped working a little over a half hour before the crash (i.e., the last auto-save .bak file was about 35 minutes before the crash, more than twice as long as my auto-save interval setting of 15 minutes) I did some testing. The result was clearly that auto-save was only working intermittently on three different computers. The three computers are all running Cubase 12 Pro v 12.0.70. Two of the computers are running Windows 10 Pro, but different builds. The other is running Win 11 Pro. A mix of computer brands and Intel / AMD processors.

The tests I did used a mix of existing files; and brand-new files created specifically for these tests. This was my testing procedure:

• Opened existing files, or created new files. In the case of the latter, the new files were saved before proceeding to the next step.
  • Made various changes within the session files.
  • Set a timer for 15 minutes, which was the auto-save interval set on all three computers.
  • Left each session open and walked away.
  • Checked back after 15 minutes to see if an auto-save .bak file had been created.

For both types of files (existing and new) on all three systems, auto-save worked occasionally but not reliably.

EDIT: My apologies. Auto-save worked reliably on the computer with the older of the Windows 10 builds, but not reliably (i.e, sometimes a .bak file was created, sometimes not) on the other Windows 10 and Windows 11 computers.

Thanks.

Somehow the default settings don’t seem to work.
I have always noticed this, I don’t remember starting from which version exactly but it’s been a while. Every time I installed a new version of Cubase the auto-save wasn’t working. Changing the value to something else makes it work properly.

I believe I disabled auto-save, applied the settings, and completely closed Cubase.
After opening it again I enabled auto-save again and set it to 10 minutes / 10 files max and since then the reliability is rock solid.

I don’t think it has to do with the version of Windows and hardware specs. Your Cubase installation is different on each machine so the config files can also be slightly different since Cubase sometimes mess with them upon loading projects that have something “wrong” in them.

Since that worked, the Defaults.xml file might have an impossible setting in it. Might be worth perusing the xml at some point when you (or anyone) install Cubase.

A backup of that file is created when using Safe Mode to disable/delete prefs too, for general info.

I’ll try this when the next version is out.
I always uninstall the previous version first to make sure it doesn’t reuse the files.

Uninstalling does not do that though. Hiding the Prefs folder from Cubase does.

So, after all, the issue wasn’t just in my imagination, nor was it a user error, right? (Note I’ve been using Cubase since version 5)

Why is this problem still unresolved?

Thanks for the replies Louis_R and steve and sorry for not responding sooner

Default settings (15 min.) have worked fine for me. Can’t swear that autosave hasn’t failed before on my machines, but this is the first time I can remember that I actually lost some work, due to autosave not, uh, auto-saving. But I’ll keep your tip in mind.

Ok, good to know, thanks. I’ll check my Defaults.xml file.

Yerp! I would say so Nordlead27.

Thanks all.