Auto-split combined stave into two?

See my screenshot below for a passage of music I imported via MusicXML. You’re looking at the stave for clarinets.

In m14, in the original MusicXML, the 1st clarinet is supposed to be playing, while the 2nd clarinet is tacet. (Not sure why Dorico missed this, or maybe it wasn’t defined in the MusicXML file.)

In m16, now both clarinets are playing, and the way the data was imported, they’re both in the same voice.

My question: does Dorico have commands to auto-split passages like this, so if I created a Clarinet 2 instrument, it would be smart enough to move the bottom note from selected passages (or the entirety of the score) from clarinet 1 to clarinet 2?

Any tips on managing situations like this so as to quickly reformat the score in a way that will give the most flexibility later? My goal IS to be able to print separate clarinet 1 and clarinet 2 parts at the end of the score’s editing.

The function you want is Paste Special–Explode. It does pretty well, but it’s not perfect. You’ll want to do it in sections.

Add two new clarinet players below this one. Then copy a section, select the first bar of the upper (new) clarinet, and Paste Special–Explode.

1 Like

Thank you Dan!

I’m working with it now, and sometimes it does exactly what I want, but sometimes I get unsatisfactory results.

I did what you suggested: I kept the top stave as the original combined clarinet track, then I created two new clarinets (cl2 and cl3) below that.

In the screenshot below, I selected the top stave (cl1 combined), then selected the rests in cl2 and cl3, and hit paste > explode. The results are what you see in orange. Any idea why it’s not…exploding? As you can see, the very last note did explode, but the rest of it didn’t.

Without your project, it’s hard to say.

It appears as though your selection contains bars with one voice as well as other bars with two voices. This kind of thing will happen when you tried to explode that type of selection. Dividing the exploding up into smaller selections (that contain a single voice) will normally solve this.

E.G. it appears that final note is the only two-voice bar. Try just exploding the bars before it?

1 Like

One should turn on voice colors when one does this to be sure one knows what one is dealing with.

2 Likes

I forget about this feature a lot

Thank you all, this is very helpful.

I’m doing short phrases at a time; sometimes the music is written with two notes in the same voice, other times it’s split between two voices, but I’m still encountering some oddities. I suppose I have to blame it on the MusicXML import and maybe the source material was not well formatted.