Automatic enharmonics

Hi,

When I enter an f sharp with midi keyboard in a D major chord in the key of d minor, the program notates a G flat. How come? Top part c d, middle part a a, bass line f f#. But the f# is notated as g flat.

I think the algorithm should be clever enough to notate this correctly, shouldn’t it?

Keep going!

I’ve found that sometimes it makes an odd decision based on the previous music, but unlike the other notation software it may change its mind after you’ve entered more notes. Don’t stop and correct until you’ve got to the end of the section.

D minor is the relative minor of F major, which has a key signature of one flat. It makes sense to me that the software would assume an accidental in that context to be a flat unless it’s clearly part of a triad that requires a sharp to make sense, which I don’t think is true of your example, LAE.

If the passage in question clearly outlined a D major chord, I think the software WOULD input the F#. I could be wrong though, since I don’t yet own Dorico to try my hypothesis out on.

–LB

Well, it’s clearly a D major chord. It does not matter if I keep going, it stays with G flat:

Maybe the reason for the choice is that the bass line moves chromatically, but seriously, if Dorico was a music theory student of mine I would have to have a serious conversation. No excuses here.
enharmonics.PNG

:slight_smile: Agreed.
How does Dorico decide when the two Fs in the top voice are Ds as well? Just curious…

Hello,

I’ll just add another example. The key is set to E minor. There is something fundamentally wrong with this algorithm. In this case, I would have been better of with a fixed spelling table for E minor. Come on… D and E flat in E minor, completely tonal music?

enharmonics again.PNG

I will look into this when I get a chance and report back.