Automatic Instrument numbering for Staff names on XML imput

I have input a clarinet choir score as an XML file which contains Staff names as Eb clarinet, Clarinet in Bb 1, Clarinet in Bb 2, Clarinet in Bb 3, Clarinet in Bb 4, Alto Clarinet in Eb, Bass Clarinet in Bb, Contra Alto Clarinet in Eb and Contra Bass Clarinet in Bb.

Dorico automatically renames the Staff for Eb clarinet as Clarinet in Eb 1 and the staves for the Bb clarinets as Clarinet in Bb 2 etc. The Alto and below remain the same. This presumably is because an Eb clarinet is often a doubling instrument in a convential orchestra.

I have tried to set the Eb name to its original form through the ‘edit names’ dialog in setup mode and through layout options to no avail. The only thing I could get to work was to use the ‘change instrument’ dialog on Setup to change the name back to Clarinet in Eb without the number. However this blanked the name on the layouts list and, for some reason, any Eb sound on playback.

Am I going about this the right was?

Try to edit the Eb clarinet name (Setup mode, click on the chevron next to the name to open card and edit name) adding just a space before or after the name (probably Clarinet), it should prevent Dorico from numbering it 1. Hope it helps !

Thanks for that tip Mark. In the meantime i had found another solution which was to right click on the chevron and save the Eb clarinet to a new group.