Automatically generated time signatures

Hi!

When composing, I really enjoy being able to input music without thinking of or being steered by time signatures, using a mix of manual barlines and insert mode (thanks for making that possible). Sometimes, the time signatures would help performers though. It would be neat to save time by having the time signatures be generated for all bars in a flow and then manually tweak them. Is there a way to do this currently?

Cheers,
Erik

Welcome to the forum, Erik. No, at present there’s no way to do this, but it is an interesting idea. The difficulty, I think, is that there are many ways to express bars of a particular length in terms of the time signature you would choose for it, so it would need some careful thought, particularly because the chosen time signature would then have an impact on the beat grouping of the existing music.

Thanks! Sure, I would assume such a function would go with the simplest possible time signature for the amount of time in the bar (e.g. 3/4 or 11/8 instead of 6/8 and 4/4+3/8 or something like that) and require some manual tweaking after the fact. For beat grouping, inputing music in open time signatures already provides some beat grouping, but I see this as something to be fixed manually as needed as well. The part that could be quite easily calculated automatically (and is tedious to do in your head) is the number of beats per bar, anything else probably require manual intervention anyway.