'Automation and CC' section resets to velocity

Creating a new automation is easy, but retrieving it is not :frowning:
(after minimizing the lane, “velocity” comes back)
Additionnally, I noticed that you cannot scroll in the piano roll when the automation lane is maximized.

In due course it will be possible to have not only both the piano roll and the velocity or CC editors editable at the same time, but also to set up multiple editors in a stack so that you can edit, for example, multiple CC values and velocity without opening and closing editors. So please give us a bit more time and the experience will be further improved.

4 Likes

Great ! Take courage :wink:

I cannot reach the end of the list of cc in the dropdown list (it stops at 76).
So I’m force to recreate an automation lane (and fortunately here it doesn’t recreate a new one but show the old one with the created curves)

Perhaps it’s not obvious, but you can scroll that menu that pops up that shows the controllers in groups of 8: you can either click and drag up and down to scroll it, or use your mouse wheel.

If you use the Add Automation+ to add another lane (i.e. Modwheel CC1), and save the project, it is not saved until you actually add some values by drawing into the lane. This is not very intuitive.

1 Like

Creating a new automation is easy, but retrieving it is not :frowning:
(after minimizing the lane, “velocity” comes back)
Additionnally, I noticed that you cannot scroll in the piano roll when the automation lane is maximized.

I cannot reach the end of the list of cc in the dropdown list (it stops at 76)

(Please don’t open multiple threads about the same topic. There are so many posts on the forum at the moment that it is pretty unfriendly to do this. If you’re not sure whether you’ve posted about something already and can’t find your existing posts, please use the Activity list on your own account profile page to find the threads you’ve already created and posted in. Thanks!)

Sorry for the multipost, but I didn’t do that.
Concerning the scrolling, it doesn’t work (mouse wheel or keyboard) : when I reach the bottom of the list, this one “bounces” and the last item is 76. Unfortunately I have to edit cc 90.

Rather than using the mouse wheel, try clicking and dragging, as if you’re pulling the menu upwards.

Same. I can see cc90 during a second but it immediately bounces down and 76 becomes the last item.

Do you really have automation data for every single CC? Gosh!

OK, I can see there’s certainly a problem here. We didn’t anticipate that you would have CC values for all 127 controllers. We’ll find a solution for this as soon as we can.

1 Like

Not a all :wink:
I had previously a cc3 correctly handled by Dorico 3.5
I just did “add a cc” in Dorico 4 and then (hardly) add 90.

The automation handling, especially in Write mode is a game changer for me. Further improvements is only better, as it means that with D4’s built in automation, and my edits, I can export finished MIDI ready for mixing without any further MIDI work.

Orchestral players think in terms of high/low points of lines, most often just “where’s the peak of this line?” We can do this by drawing in lines - thank you! A small improvement however would be if, when the line tool is selected, and you just click a new line, it automatically creates a line starting at the end of a previous line. Presently a single click just acts like the pencil tool - for example here’s what I get

Here’s what I do 99% of the time

Small change but big usability improvement. With this, just a few simple clicks would rapidly get the MIDI taken care of. Also it would mean we don’t have to be so careful with making sure there’s a separation between the lines.

• If you watch DAW composers you’ll see them riding those faders, and I guarentee few players actually play like that. It’s almost always straight line low->high->low kinds of things, massaging a nice curvy line is not realistic.
2 Likes

Scrolling issue : the same thing occurs with the vst list in play mode. For example, I have here an unreachable item #37 :

(and I cannot save some room in the list in order to reach it as I cannot delete the empty slots…)

yes, this could potentially be a significant improvement. I have often found it fiddly letting the start of the line in the right place.

Very much agreed!

(Edit: but i guess there could be a limit to from how far away it connects the line to the previous one)