Automation Events Placed on the First Measure

Hi team,

lately I have realized that the events (be they notes or CC) present in an automation MIDI track, if positioned exactly on the first measure, at location 0001.1.1, are sometimes regularly generated, sometimes not, on the selection of a Song and also if Preload Parts has been used.

In reality, delving deeper into the issue, I then realized that, without the use of Preload Parts, when a Song is loaded for the first time through the selection in the Left Zone, not only the event positioned at 0001.1.1 is ignored on the selection of the Song itself, but, even more seriously, it is also ignored on the first Start of the Song and until the execution of the Song is stopped and the events in the MIDI track are not reprocessed.

I have prepared a simple project for a first test that highlights the issue:

EvensOnFirstMeasure.zip (15.3 KB)

Use the project by performing the actions:

1. After starting the project, go to the Globals Layer view
  2. View the Retrologue instance contained in Layer 1
  3. Contrary to what is expected from the automation track, the Retrologue Master Volume value is -OO instead of 0.1
  4. Play the Song, the Master Volume continues to be worth -OO ignoring the CC placed on 0001.1.1 which is instead generated on the Stop bringing the Master Volume to a value of 0.1
  5. Using the Left Zone select Song 2
  6. Contrary to what is expected from the automation track, the Master Volume value continues to be 0.1 instead of 12
  7. Play the Song, the Master Volume continues to be worth 0.1 ignoring the CC placed on 0001.1.1 which instead is generated, once again, on the Stop
  8. From this point, moving over and over from Song 1 to Song 2 and vice versa, you can see, from how the value of the Retrologue Master Volume changes or does not change, that the generation of the CC placed on 0001.1.1 seems to take place randomly, while the generation of the event taken from the automation track on the Start always occurs

As already mentioned, I reiterate that my tests have shown that the issue observed for the CCs placed in 0001.1.1 occurs similarly for the notes.

Is this an issue you are already aware of? Can you reproduce it by following the steps I indicated?

Thank you in advance for your support.

1 Like

Tank you very much for the project and detailed report. Fixed with the next version.

2 Likes

Thanks to you @musicullum for the quick response.

I look forward to the new version! :blush:

Hi @musicullum,

happy to retest the new version 1.4.63, as soon as I started I realized that unfortunately the behavior is not yet completely as expected.

In fact, without using the Preload Parts functionality, the events (such as notes or CC) present in the automation MIDI track and positioned at location 0001.1.1, appear ignored by the execution of the Song until the Song is reloaded again after move to another Song or, without moving to another Song, the Song is stopped by using the Stop button.

In practice my previous description of the test could now be modified as follows:

1. After starting the project, go to the Globals Layer view
  2. View the Retrologue instance contained in Layer 1
  3. Contrary to what is expected from the automation track, the Retrologue Master Volume value is -OO instead of 0.1
  4. Play the Song, the Master Volume continues to be worth -OO ignoring the CC placed on 0001.1.1 which is instead generated on the Stop bringing the Master Volume to a value of 0.1
  5. Using the Left Zone select Song 2
  6. Contrary to what is expected from the automation track, the Master Volume value continues to be 0.1 instead of 12
  7. Play the Song, the Master Volume continues to be worth 0.1 ignoring the CC placed on 0001.1.1 which instead is generated, once again, on the Stop
  8. From this point, moving over and over from Song 1 to Song 2 and vice versa, you can see the correct loading of the events positioned on 0001.1.1 in each Song

I add to what was already reported in the original post that I’m not using the Chase Event On Start setting.

Hoping for your new feedback.

It looks like you are correct again. The track is not ready when primed for the very very first time after loading.
It should work after once changing Songs though, right?
Fixed for the next version, thanks again.

1 Like

Hi @musicullum,

I didn’t quite understand if you meant that the fix would have already been applied with the VST Live 1.4.64 Pre-Release version, but unfortunately I continue to encounter the same old behavior with the new version.

I confirm that the loading of events in position 0001.1.1 occurs regularly starting from the second access to the Song onwards.

Anyway, thanks as always for the support.

Not sure if the fix made it into yesterdays’ version, sorry. Pls. try again with the upcoming one.

Ok, this would explain why the behavior hasn’t changed at all. :wink:

I remain hopeful for the next release, thanks. :blush: