Automation greyed out in Cubase 5.

Dear Anyone.

I’m a total and utter NOOB with Cubase so be gentle with me!

I’ve got a legit. copy of Cubase 5 which I had awhile but only just seriously got into using, because I downloaded the awesome free synth Dexed which my usual music writing software couldn’t handle. I’ve got as far as loading the synth, loading the sounds and playing the sounds. I’ve even discovered where the automation line IS - but it’s greyed out. And I’ve tried everything in sight and it’s STAYING greyed out. Which means I can’t control Dexed in Cubase either.

Now I’ve no idea if this is a Dexed problem or a Cubase problem or what, but I’m happy to try everything anyone suggests. I’ve tried the M1 Emulator in Cubase 5 and the automation line stays greyed out there too. I’ve tried clicking on all the R’s for READ I can find and some come on and some don’t but it doesn’t seem to make any difference, still can’t automate.

Sorry I’m vague. Can hear all the sounds fine, just can’t automate them in any way. Will try anything anyone suggests cos I’m 100% flat outta ideas. I’m using Windows XP SP3 (no I’m not downloading Windows 10!) with a Foxpro 1 Motherboard and Realtec High Definition Audio Codec, no separate soundcard, the sound seems great without spending the extra dough (and works fine with Quick Score Elite Level 3 which is what I’ve always used up till now, it’s just the Dexed people haven’t put any CC changes in the program (WHY!!!)) Can’t use flamin’ Gladiator, or Nexus, or even Kontakt for the same reason - no CC changes - so i’d REALLY love to get Cubase working…

Yours hopefully

Chris.

You probably need to record automation first before you can edit it
Press record
Turn some knobs in Dexed and see what appears in the controller lane

Dear Raphie.(And whoever else

I’ve been drawing in fairly random curves for testing purposes with the pencil tool and I can see them but they’re still grey and nothing happens in the controller lane, by which I’m assuming you mean the lane with the slider in that controls the volune when you slide it up and down? I’ve clicked on the R in the controller lane (the lane where the slider is in the mixing panel) and moved the volume slider randomly up and down trying to get some kinda reaction that way and of course it changes the volume when I’m sliding it but it’s not recording it - when I replay the notes, no volume change happens. By which I mean I’m fairly sure the slider should be going up and down by itself, surely?

It’s prob. something stoopid I’m missing but I wish I knew what it was. Should there be any more R’s lit up anywhere else?

Yours puzzledly
Chris

Dear Raphie.(And whoever else answers this!)

I’ve been drawing in fairly random curves for testing purposes with the pencil tool and I can see them but they’re still grey and nothing happens in the controller lane, by which I’m assuming you mean the lane with the slider in that controls the volune when you slide it up and down? I’ve clicked on the R in the controller lane (the lane where the slider is in the mixing panel) and moved the volume slider randomly up and down trying to get some kinda reaction that way and of course it changes the volume when I’m sliding it but it’s not recording it - when I replay the notes, no volume change happens. By which I mean I’m fairly sure the slider should be going up and down by itself, surely?

It’s prob. something stoopid I’m missing but I wish I knew what it was. Should there be any more R’s lit up anywhere else?

Yours puzzledly
Chris