Automation improvement suggestions

I think that automation is one of the neglected areas of Cubase and needs a complete serious overhaul:

• “Automation clips” or containers like in FL Studio, or like in Logic (called “region-based automation”). Basically chunks of automation that can be moved around, copied and pasted just the same as instrument parts.

• Automation clips can be ghost-copied for repeating/rhythmic automation, edit one clip and changes propagate to all ghost copies at once. Please don’t even mention copy-paste here, it’s a waste of time.

• An automation clip can control any parameter, so any given automation clip can be freely dragged or copied across to other parameters.

• Existing single-line automation remains for “old-school” automation fans, automation clips optionally drawn in to sit on top of the existing automation line (automation clips would have higher precedence than the single-line).

• editable curves via Bezier curves

• Additional line tools such as SAW (like in S1, FL etc)

• Control Link - just like the Control Link in Studio One, you can see the value being moved in the plugin, and you can also link it to one of the knobs in the midi controller for quick automation.

• additional line tools, as found in S1, for example a SAW wave (handy for automations which are currently not easily possible within cubase). A SAW wave will give access to interesting automations which are important for EDM style music.

That’s the way automation clips work in FL Studio - this is brilliant.

This should be implemented in Cubase - we’re so much behind the times regarding this!
(pic taken from FL Studio)

(this is taken out of my feature request)

I think that automation is one of the neglected areas of Cubase and needs a complete serious overhaul:

• “Automation clips” or containers like in FL Studio, or like in Logic (called “region-based automation”). Basically chunks of automation that can be moved around, copied and pasted just the same as instrument parts.

• Automation clips can be ghost-copied for repeating/rhythmic automation, edit one clip and changes propagate to all ghost copies at once. Please don’t even mention copy-paste here, it’s a waste of time.

• An automation clip can control any parameter, so any given automation clip can be freely dragged or copied across to other parameters.

• Existing single-line automation remains for “old-school” automation fans, automation clips optionally drawn in to sit on top of the existing automation line (automation clips would have higher precedence than the single-line).

• editable curves via Bezier curves

• Additional line tools such as SAW (like in S1, FL etc)

• Control Link - just like the Control Link in Studio One, you can see the value being moved in the plugin, and you can also link it to one of the knobs in the midi controller for quick automation.

• additional line tools, as found in S1, for example a SAW wave (handy for automations which are currently not easily possible within cubase). A SAW wave will give access to interesting automations which are important for EDM style music.

I’ve not used FL studio - the automation there looks great but it looks quite time consuming as well.

The cubase automation needs work but at least I can enter it quickly and whilst the fl studio automation LOOKS amazing… when working with orchestral instruments for example, I don’t think you want absolute perfection in your curves and lines etc.

Like I’ve said though… i’ve not used it so maybe I would love it.

This is old, Adobe (Premiere) is using this for years already, however it’s good to point this out as in Cubase it isn’t implemented yet, but would be very powerfull!!!

Yep, I agree, we need an overhaul. Also they need to make the automation points Always visible again because its a right pain that they keep disappearing. +1 to parabola and other shapes, definitely. I’d like to see parabolas on the fade handles on events as well.

Mike.

This would make editing a whole lot easier. Please make this happen in Cubase 9 Steinberg! :mrgreen:

+1
I struggle with this daily,

More and more people will buy FL studio instead of cubase because of this.
Cubase is by far the best DAW out there and its so easy to produce big projects, but when it comes to automation it lags behind.
Please steinberg, give us this in cubase 9

+1

the dream of the 90s is alive in portland-- and at steinberg, hamburg.

please cut off the pony tails & fast-track to 2016. :]

• 1 for automation clips.

I agree Blueplanet, Cubase still has a way to go to catch up with the competition in this area and the wider area of GUI implementation in general imho :wink:

+1 really helpful for EDM producers, who live and die by exact, and repetitive automation

+1

+1
Need this! Some Plugin Values are translated very badly into values of automation. Automating the Compressor Threshold or the Volume of your favorite 3rd Party Soft Synth can become a nightmare.

+1

I would really like to control automation lines with Range Selection tool. I often do section-by-section automation and creating 4 precise points can be a little ‘tedious’.
automation_range_tool.jpg

Thats what I do - using the line tool speeds things up but still.

Is there a key command to ensure that the line you create stays at the same volume either end? It’s not always easy to do by eye and I end up double checking and editing if it’s gone up or down by a few db.

Michael

+1

Also the writing of automation in Cubase is fairly poor - very inconsistent and non-smooth. Playing with the reduction level only helps a bit but is mostly inconsistent.

Exactly. And if you make a line you cannot guarantee that it’s gonna end up in the right place. There’s a chance that you’ll need to redraw it or adjust end points. It’s way easier to just grab the line with a mouse and move it up and down until it’s right.