Automation - Select/make points/move Volume line

automation track editor - thank you … wrecking my brain for that one …

Curve Tool - haha I would have never guessed that one … thank you

this is a good fast workflow … i placed the Line / Curve Tool on the Tilde key - nice and close to Object Tool

the Right Click Menu Locked Once for me for easier selection but now it just blinks on and off … i need to use Control Key to bring the big menu up … it locks in Logic and like i said once here in N6 … i doubt there is a command for that …

btw: nice website … and thank s again

i have found one thing here that is different than the DUC or Gearslutz - good clear help without a lot of BS … and Nuendo 6 is muh better than the first DAW i had … Cubase 1.5 i wish i could find that bule disk … i switched over to Pro Tools III from cubase as I needed more power … hence going to a card based system … i need a more powerful compter to handle what i am doing … my system has served me well for 5 years now … i have a Lynx issue that is giving me headaches, so may be new computer and Interface at the same time …

john

You’re welcome!

Overall I like the way Nuendo handles automation editing more than Protools but the one thing PT does that Nuendo doesn’t do is easy automation trim. That is what the macro described in this thread is about. You lasso a range and move all points within and not touch what is outside of the range in 2 or 3 steps.

I use the line tool all the time for automation but as someone pointed out earlier it always wipes out what was there before. To trim something you have to create edit points on either side of your edit, lasso what is in between(which will likely require a tight zoom because the points will be close) and then move the selected points. It is a multi-step process.

One thing Protools won’t do is allow a chosen selection of points within a range. This makes it time consuming to do something like turn down the first 2 bars of automation of each verse in a tune. You have to do them one at a time.

Dean

Are you aware of the trim feature within the automation panel? This will essentially give you another automation lane which lets you offset (or trim) the existing volume automation. You can “freeze” this (apply the trim to your volume lane when you are happy, freeing up the trim lane again) or you can choose to leave it and have it calculated in real-time as a volume automation offset.

To work quickly I would suggest looking at key commands for “locators to selection” as well as “fill loop”. When you combine those you have a very quick way of trimming a range based selection.

Yes, it would be nice to have automation trim via the range as PT does it but there are other ways in
Nuendo to get to the same end goal.

yes, many ways to skin a cat … get “Trim” onto a key command (i need to as well) it is the same as PT or maybe even a bit more … as the Gif shows when making that cut using the line (curve) tool just make that line a little lower and it is easy to grab with the lasso …

and thanks Bredo …

That sounds pretty cool. I will look into that.

Dean

So I see how this works now. Unfortunately it is only for volume automation. Also I am finding I can just leave it in trim mode as it only comes up when select write on the track so no need for a shortcut for me. I would normally just use the line tool.

Here is a feature request: Can we get the line tool to show a numeric pop up? It would save having to select the arrow tool, locate cursor, select the new points and finally move the points. All of this is needed after a line tool move if precision is required.

Dean

I will give this a try. Thank Bredo.

Dean