automation using "virgin territory" seems broken.. I made a video of the problem

usefull for folks using mouse to draw automation… not for folks with a controler using virgin territories as they are supposed to work… pff… is there nobody using a controller like euphonix mc mix here ?? making moves with faders, not with mouse ?? making moves from one second… not drawing on the whole section while cubase is stopped ? … Some day I will make a video showing you all the benefits of the virgin territories when you work with a controller… for now I don’t have much time.

(PS:- the ‘Harrison’ link is broken in that quote you posted above…)

here it is Harrison Audio

to help you all understand what is a virgin territory… it is a territory where there you didn’t write automation (with fader)… so it is a territory where the cubase will keep the last value played, it is a territory where you didn’t make any change, so cubase won’t return to any value after that one, nore will draw an acending line or descending line, beetween your last value and the next one, because it isn’t what you did. But when you had increased a level and released the fader (removing your finger from it), so it stops writing, you have a virgin territories, until your next writing. But to recall the right value when moving, cubase read the last value on the track at the position you’re at… it’s logical… Virgin territories are not boundaries where no automation is read, it is just a “I haven’t wrote anything more than my last value” … I don’t really expect you to understand even with this explanation… because after all, you didn’t catch it in years …

In fact, the Harrison product manager in that thread is describing how Harrison Virign Territories work neither like Cubase 9 OR Cubase 9.5. Just goes to show, there is no right or wrong. However it seems very clear from forum posts on this subject that ALMOST everyone prefers the new 9.5 implementation so it’s probably time to get used to it! :slight_smile:

And by the way, I also use an Avid DAW controller and I much prefer the new VT (the old one being completely useless for me).

Lol, I give up. I wait Steinberg to aknowlege they have broken it, and a fix. I can’t continue argument with people who doesn’t know what they are they are talking about who never used it when it was working correctly. As I say and you never answered me… why is cubase writing a start even on the begining of a project when you write automation in the middle, if it isn’t to recall this value correctly when jumping in the virgin territory between the start and the moment you started writing automation ?? why?? and don’t answer me that when you draw automation with the mouse it doesn’t place a « start event »… if you make all with a mouse you don’t need virgin territories.

I was this morning on skype with another french member, as you, he didn’t understood virgin territories as he never used it and had difficulties to understand its operation mode, and for him it was logical that cubase didn’t recall the values when jumping in blank territories… so I took time to explain him, with a session and a screen sharing… showing him how you work with that, he understood, finally, and agreed it was now broken… and he understood how this was before… it was only possible because he thought that if I was happy with it for years, maybe it is that is was fine before, and it was him who didn’t understood as he never took time to use « virgin territories » (working exclusively with a mouse)… and he wanted to understand and help to confirm the bug… you, you’re happy with the bug… Lol

Yes, Virgin Territory in 9.5 IS BROKEN. Simple test: automate a fadeout at the end of the project. Jump to start and start play. Even worse, exporting also ignores the first (automatically added) terminated point as well as all other terminated points so you get a silent exported file until first written automation point shows up which is the start of the fadeout. It isn’t supposed to work this way and “fill gaps” is a workaround that completely defeats the point of virgin territory.

thanks prokletije, I’m happy to see someone who understands…

problem not solved in 9.5.10 …

Virgin Territories is DEFINITELY BROKEN in 9.5 (and 9.5.10). Nothing is written at the beginning of the project so, as a previous poster explained, if you go beyond the fade out at the end of the song and then start at the beginning, the master fader is off (same thing ANYWHERE in the project). I just spent an embarrassing couple of hours with a client because of this. I had to turn “Virgin Territories” off and start all over. I can sort of see a point of having it this way (automation is only affected to the written area) but It’s of no use to me. At least, if this is the new format, have a preference to go back to the old format. Like entoine I’ve been using VT for years with no issues. I guess it’s back to 9.0.30 for mixing for now…

Is “Use Virgin Territory” behavior broken in 9.5? I am now convinced it is.

There is an observable difference between how “Use Virgin Territory” behaves, depending on what technique you use to enter automation data. This should not happen. The results should be consistent, regardless of the writing method chosen.

Steps to duplicate:

Create a new Project or use a Project that hasn’t used any automation yet.

1. Start by confirming that “Use VirginTerritory” is activated in the Automation panel.

2. In this example, select your Project’s master output fader.

3. Somewhere near the end of the song, click the Write button.

4. You’re going to write a fade out on the master output track….but, do not write the fade with the mouse directly on the automation lane while stopped. Instead, click Play and with the mouse, grab the Mixer’s output fader and make a fade.

5. Stop and click/deactivate Write. You should see the fade automation curve you just recorded. It should not be connected back to the beginning of the song, where there should be a single automation node at your output fader’s initial level at bar 0.

This is the way “Use Virgin Territory” is supposed to create automation moves in areas with no automation curves….however:

1. Back up to somewhere near the very end of the fade. Hit play for a second and Stop. Roll forward to a bar or two in front of the fade and hit Play. You will hear playback at the level you last stopped at.

This is what is broken in 9.5.10.: With “Use Virgin Territory” activated, automation created by using Mixer faders or external controllers tied to the fader(s), automation does not chase to the nearest last known node in unwritten (virgin) areas. This worked perfectly in 9.0. In my opinion, it is definitely broken in 9.5.

For those of you wondering, if you do the same exact thing, but you mouse-draw the fade directly onto the automation lane while stopped, you will see the beginning of the fade tied all the way back to bar 0’s starting level and everything should work as expected as you locate to different areas around the song.

There is an observable difference between how “Use Virgin Territory” works, depending on what technique you use to enter the data. In my opinion, this should not happen. Entry results should be consistent, regardless of the writing method you choose.

Strangely, I do not see this difference. Whether I write automation by dragging a fader with the mouse, moving a fader on my Eucon controller, or drawing a fade in the automation lane, the result is identical. I get a single terminated automation node at the start of the project, and then the fade that I have written. This is as I would expect.

Here is the issue I see with the current setup:

If you have just a single automation node that is terminated, then it will have no effect on the fader. I wouldn’t say this is a bug necessarily. It is a design choice -but I definitely think it is a bad choice.

However here is what I WOULD say is a bug (albeit a relatively minor one): If you have two nodes extremely close together, where the first is not terminated and the second is, the fader will not respond. From my very brief testing, if the nodes are less than around 50ms apart, the fader will not respond.

This is explained by my previous post:

If you have a single automation node that is terminated (which is what is automatically written at the start of the project when you use Virgin Territories) the fader will not respond to this. It can very charitably be described as a design choice rather than ‘Broken’ but seems an extremely poor choice.

This is not really the issue that was highlighted at the start of the thread though… The main complaint seemed to be that when you locate in a ‘virgin territory’ the automation should still chase the last automation event even if the playhead has not passed the event. That was how it was in v9 and that is what I would consider ‘broken’. If you want that to happen, just disable Virgin Territories and use normal automation.

Hmmm. This could be strictly a Mac issue that I’m seeing. What I wrote is what occurs on my rig.

And yes, I figured out what to do about it, particularly Projects that were done much earlier in 9.0 then moved into 9.5… still, I think there is enough oddness going on (particularly chasing) between the two versions that suggests this is something Steinberg needs to weigh in on…one way or the other. All I can do is report what I’m seeing on my system.

Well, call it broken, call it a bug, call it a poor design choice, call it what you like… I agree with you that it should be changed.

On this point I completely disagree with you.

wow, it seems even with explaining a thousand times how “virgin territories” works, some don’t want to understand… even if the people explaining it take time to explain it, and have used it for years…
Steinberg ??? any word on this issue?? … it’s definitely broken and it would be great to hear this is an issue Steinberg is aware of, and that it is on the list of bugs to be adressed in a next update…

Agreed, I did start an issue report on the issues page. I’ve gone back to 9.0.30 until this is addressed.

Hello,

Happy New Year to you all.

Development informed me that this indeed seems to be an unintended change and we will probably go back to the old behavior in the C9.5.20 update (I take ‘probably’ as ‘if we make it in time’ / ‘if no unexpected problems pop up’). Internal ref. number is [CAN-12873].

I will post again when I have some more information. Sorry for the inconvenience!

thanks a lot for the update :slightly_smiling_face:. And happy new year to you too !