Automation with a Hardware Controller

I’m having serious problems using my hardware controller (AKAI MPK49) to record automation on a VST instrument.

I’ve mapped the hardware controls to parameters on the VST, when I turn a knob I see the corresponding control change on the screen, but when I try to record it, although I hear the sound changing, when I check the automation, nothing has recorded. Instead, I have recorded MIDI CC data, which doesn’t manipulate the parameter when read.

I’ve checked the CC Automation Set up in the Edit menu and changed the CC values so they write to automation instead of midi, but still no change.

In contrast to Ableton’s plug and play approach to hardware controllers, I’m finding this very frustrating. What am I doing wrong?

Actually it is at least as easy as in Live (except using the push) because Cubase has the track/VST Quick Controls. Make sure your MIDI controller CCs are the same as the quick controls CC settings in the Studio Setup menu. Done once and forever… so no need to map them with CMD+M like in Live. There is also a MIDI learn button in the quick controls to fast map your VST parameters.
So… check out the quick controls…

just saw the post was from 7 years… hopefully you’re still using Cubase :rofl: