Autosave function

There is at present no way to prevent Dorico from auto-saving the project. I’m still unsure whether that’s an option we really want to introduce. I will think about it some more and discuss with the team.

It’s not only that the autosave is not always useful in professional apps, it’s also that there’s no way to manually trigger the saving, which has caused several times that I lose part of the work when the app crashes (which doesn’t happen a lot, but enough to be worried about it) In my opinion, a manually saving button is indispensable in a creative and professional software. It could have autosave AND a manually saving button.

Hi Daniel,
I hardly use Dorico-For-Ipad anymore because of the Auto-Save function.
It prevents me in my creative workflow. Going back to a previously saved version is very awkward in the practice, so I use Dorico Pro on the computer and no longer on iPad.
My creative process requires that I can experiment. I want to be able to go back to my last saved version. I really don’t want a computer program to determine for me what or how I will store my files.
Moreover, this problem also exist with files that you open via Dropbox, iCloud or on your own network. Only opening a file already overwrites it and therefore changes, for example, the editing date. Moreover, that awkward auto-save function also works here.
And, of course, you can make a second version and start experimenting with it, but that is much more work.
I think it is a shame, and would really like to work with Dorico-For-Ipad. But as long as Auto-Save cannot be switched off, I will not do that.
There are apps for the iPad that do have a manual save function. Why doesn’t Dorico-For-Ipad have this?

Groet, Marien

2 Likes

Thanks for your feedback, Marien. You can of course already manually save on iPad provided you have a keyboard attached and can type the Command-S shortcut. In general I don’t think it’s a good idea to disable auto-save on the iPad version, but I do hear what you’re saying, and I will continue to think about it.

Thinking is always good :grinning:
I am using Dorico Pro now for a year, and I am very happy with it.
The problem for me is not how to save a file but how not to save a file

1 Like

The same happens to me

Hi @Marien,
I find that it is the compulsory overwriting of previous work that is the problem. If AUTOSAVE created a new altered version, preserving the original file, then at least the user could decide after exiting to the hub which versions to keep. Granted this would take a little time depending on how often AUTOSAVE operates, but it would avoid the sinking feeling you get when you’ve made a real mess of something and you know there is no way of preventing Dorico from writing over your original file.

How does Dorico treat Autosave compared to Apple’s own software, f.e. Pages for iPad?

Hi Eagle2,
I don’t understand what you want to say. Maybe a small clarification?

Groet, Marien

Hi K_b,

I don’t know, but I don’t think that’s that important either. There are apps for iPad that have autosave and there are apps that don’t have it. I prefer the apps that let me think for myself and therefore have no autosave. (for example: iReal Pro, Forscore, and Graphpad)

Groet, Marien

I think Eagle2 is saying something similar to my post #19 above.

Hi Mark & Marien,

Yes I was proposing a compromise solution. Autosave has it’s place, especially as the iPad version still has a tendency to crash quite regularly in my experience.

@k_b has asked how Dorico treats autosave, which in my view is crucial to understand in order to have any sensible discussion on this subject. In particular how often does Dorico initiate an autosave?

Maybe each version could be written to an “Autosave” folder in the hub with an option to overwrite the original with the chosen version after closing the app.