Avid Artist Mix and Control - First Real Session

I resently alter my networksettings by changing my old router with a newer switch (Netgear RP614 V3). Now, my Fritzbox 7330 works as a DHCP and not my old router and the exit bug is gone. I also use the Microsoft Compatibility Toolkit to change my UAC for the Cubase.exe and let it ‘run as invoker’. Maybe the Windows here user can try that. For me, it fixes the bug.

Hi all,

I do not have crashes on Exit with cubase since I start it with Administrator privileges.
But still the Situation is that stopping cubase and restarting it means that it does not connect again to the Eucon Devices. When I open the eucon-window then I see “Cubase 7 on” and no Workstationname (when everything works it says “Cubase 7 on Studio7”). Somehow cubase is not able to reconnect to the eucon devices after it has aleady done so.
I think that the “disconnection” does not work properly and EUCON still thinks it is connected to the “originally startet” cubase instance.

Cheers, Ernst

When you exit Cubase (after a successful Eucon session) and then run the Eucon app, do you see the control surfaces in the ‘My Surfaces’ area on the ‘Surfaces’ tab?

Hi you, oh yes, I do. I also see the Workstation on the Workstations tab. I found that when I Exit cubase, leaving the Controllers on the Display on the mccontrol did not swith to “wecome to the Artist series” in the Display. I disabled the Firewall and now it works.

The only Thing that still does not work is to Switch the Controllers of and start them from scratch. To recognize them correctly from this Point on a restart is necessary (Switch users does not help)

Ernst

Hi… Try ‘Log Off’ instead of ‘Switch User’… This kills and restarts the Eucon service…

Hi - thank you cpechet1 for your Patience!

I also tried “logoff”, but it does not cure the issue. Well, this is a Situation with which I can live! The Controllers work with cubase and I can start and stop cubase . As Long as I leave the Controllers switched on no restart is necessary.

I think all this has something to do with the Network topology … this is just an assumption, but well. I dont want to investigate further, since I have a reasonable solution now.

Cheers, Ernst

Thanks Ernst… Glad things are working reasonably well !!

Frankly, I’m surprised Avid still provides competing DAW support for their new “Pro Tools controller” at all…

:open_mouth:

I think its very smart… In multi-room setups (or even single-room setups) where there are multiple DAWs from various providers Avid wants all of them to be able to use the one or more S6 surfaces the facility owns. Even when there are multiple DAWS running in the ‘main room’ Eucon takes over the focused application so switching between PT and, say, Cubase is completely seamless as far as the S6 (or Artist) is concerned. Moreover, I think Avid realizes that high-performance native DAW software is now as good as PT so they want to focus on owning the market for deeply-integrated high-end surfaces which can interact with as many competitive DAW platforms as possible. This will, for example, induce Nuendo shops to consider an S6 rather than a Nuage controller. I am just guessing but I imagine margins on the S6 series are quite high (retail starts at around 20k USD for a basic S6) so it is profitable to ship as many of them as possible to as many DAW platforms as possible. I would not be surprised to see more Eucon enabled surfaces coming from Avid which can cover all ranges of the market including entry level. By continuing support for Eucon Avid may eventually kill Mackie and own the surface market. Avid is past the point where it believes it can kill off the DAW competition but it still believes it can kill off the surface competition.

Off topic… Having spent quite a bit of time on the Avid Artist board, it seems that Steinberg’s Eucon integration is far superior to Avid’s own integration - Lots of very unhappy PT 11 users outs there… Very few unhappy Cubase users…

Eucon is a terrific technology and I believe it will become the standard

Hi

Well, there are some signs out there, that nobody really take care of this protocol :frowning:
AVID is just interested in the proper integration of PT and Steinberg does not really take care of it, because they have their own controllers to support.

I’m a big fan of the Artist Series. Never saw something comparable out in the market. The endless flexibility in operation is just fantastic.

Hope for further adaptations and support from AVID and Steinberg :wink:

Cheers

Hi… I agree the controllers are the best out there, especially for the money… In terms of overall protocol support I checked the Artist download section and Avid has released ten versions of Eucon since 2009 which is pretty good… Its about two updates per year. From what I can tell Steinberg has provided Eucon updates with each major Cubase release since 5.x so it appears that Eucon is getting its fair share of attention from both sides. I am feeling pretty confident the relationship will continue… At least I hope so…

Unfortunately, unlike good ol’ fashioned analog equipment of days past, digital hardware is only as good as it’s latest driver/software support. That Eucon support needs to be honored by two separate, competing (corporate) entities would make me very hesitant of spending that amount of cash.

Yea… I think it’s a situation where you have to use them to really appreciate their worth! :wink:

I’ll admit that EuControl of late has issues, but even with the issues…the controllers are very useful in the studio production process.

Even a casual user might not really understand how powerful these units are until they incorporate them into their work flow for a while, and actually see how deeply integrated and flexible these units are!

Does the software behavior need improvement… “YES”! Do I regret making the investment " No", not by a long shot!

Al

These observations raise an interesting question: I wonder how many cubase users have Avid Artist controllers? My hope would be that there are enough in the community to warrant ongoing support by both sides. I suppose the same question should be asked of Logic users… It seems to me that as long as Logic supports Eucon Steinberg must too (and counter-wise).

I have been musing about jpgtr’s comments… After having used these things for a month or so now I can’t believe how much better my overall workflow is and how hard they would be to give up (unless, of course, something much better came along…)

If it turned out that Steinberg and Avid parted ways on Eucon I think I would probably switch to PT. I would certainly miss cubase and all its great stuff but I would miss the surfaces more. They have completely changed my world… After years of mouse/keyboard I had forgotten how great the analog desk experience was and I don’t think I would ever want to give that up. The CMCs are OK but compared to the Avid stuff they are marginal. Besides the ‘analog-ish’ components the touchscreen on the Control has almost completely replaced the mouse for me. Hard to give that up…

They have been working pretty hard over at the Reaper forum on a EuCon adapter, and they have been asking for a lot of user input! I haven’t been following the progress of late, but the fact that they are trying says a lot about their resolve!

I have Reaper, but don’t use it a lot… shame on me! I really have to stop having such a narrow focus about what’s available!

Just Sayin’
Al

Makes sense… This is why I believe every product that has already signed up with Eucon will most likely continue to support it… Who knows? Avid may decide to screw third-party Eucon contributors and start charging a licensing fee to end users or whatever. But even if that happens its money well spent (from my perspective anyhow).

I should probably give Reaper a try too… Like you say… spread a little wing…