AVID support

HI

Sorry to post it here but I’ve tried the normal channels.

The fader 2 on my MC PRO died. The motor I guess.
I want to find out how difficult it is to repair/exchange the fader, is it possible at all.

AVID support is useless, I contacted them via email, no response. DUC forum is dead.

Does someone have a direct email to Euphonix/AVID tech?. Or experience in System 5 MC maintenance?

Thank you in advance.
Wojtek

Sad to hear about your fader problem and the lack of response from Avid.
I had a broken unit as well a couple of months ago and my local music shop was nice enough to handle it for me.
Maybe you could contact your dealer?

Wojtek, I feel your pain.

I have a system-5-M.
Hate contacting AVID,
getting contact through their main website and or the main USA phone number +1 650-237-1604
is not fun.

first off, what is wrong with your fader. If the motorized portion of the fader does not work, the audio portion does. In other words if you wrote automation using a fader that does not have a working motor, the system will still track the the automation moves. I have had a few motors go out and have had to buy the whole fader pack. If you can love without the moving, you can still work just fine.

If the fader sticks, or chatters, then the fader mechanism needs to be cleaned. There are actually 2 contact strips inside the fader, one for audio, one for the touch sensitivity. if the fader chatters you need to clean the touch sensitive part which is under the top glide rod. I usually hammer a Q-tip flat and then using isopropyl alcohol clean the resistive strip. If the fader sticks then you need to clean any gunk off the glide rods, and then lubricate with a very fine fader oil. I have also found broken wires to the fader, either at the fader end or at the header connector going to the fader control board. I am not familiar with the physical construction of the MC-Pro, but on the system 5, the faders can be accessed by a removable pannel underneath the unit. (turn off power before disconnecting anything !!!)

If you can buy a replacement fader, and access to the faders is a easy as the S5, all you have to do is open the panel, remove the fader cap, remove the 2 screw from the top and bottom of the fader, and disconnect the faders wires at the PC board header connector. be careful these wires are sensitive, I have had to re-solder a few wires back to the header connector. also be careful when pulling the fader out that you do not snag any of the wires for the other faders.

Really with common sense and care replacing a fader should be easy.

I tried to find a picture of the MC-pro on AVID’s site and could not. Have they been discontinued ???

PM me with contact info and where you are located and the exact model of your unit and I will see if I can find a contact for you. Also see if you get better results with that phone number I posted above.

Later,
Brain

Wojtek sounds polish to me. If you are in Poland call Mark Rose at the UK office.
Mark is an old Euphonix guy and has been around at least since we bought our S5MC system eight years or so ago. He did the on site commissioning with me.

But do realize that it’s a discontinued product that was EOLed a while ago. And Mark’s day to day duties are with the S6 these days. But he has always been helpful to me.

Yes the faders can mostly be fixed by a good clean unless they are mechanically broken (knock on wood as that haven’t happened to any of ours yet).

This thread is an example of a forum working well as a great user resource. Props to you guys for helping the OP!

We had 3 large S5 consoles with a total of 128 faders. Very few failed over an 8 year period of fairly heavy use. One recommendation. It’s a slight pain, but a console cover in place when not in use is a big help in keeping the faders clean. Dust is where much of the grunge buildup comes from and that’s a 24/7 gradual accumulation over time. A console cover should cut that in half. Really easy for an MC. Not even so tough for a full size. Keeps everything looking newer over time, as well.

Hi guys.

Thank you for all theresponses!!!
@Brain
The electronic /sound part of the fader works. Its passing audio, the lights are working. The touch sensor works as well.
You can see that the motor is off, because when MC is not connected to any Euconized application, normally when you try to move the fader it will jump back. This one just stays there.

If you can buy a replacement fader, and access to the faders is a easy as the S5, all you have to do is open the panel, remove the fader cap, remove the 2 screw from the top and bottom of the fader, and disconnect the faders wires at the PC board header connector. be careful these wires are sensitive, I have had to re-solder a few wires back to the header connector. also be careful when pulling the fader out that you do not snag any of the wires for the other faders.

Exactly what I was thinking.
So I’ll wait for the Avid tech to contact me and the see if it pays off to repair it or learn to work with it :slight_smile:

@ErikG
Yes I’m polish, but living in Namibia :slight_smile: . Avid support in Africa is nonexistent.
I contacted Mark with the old email and God bless it had automatic response. Mark doesn’t work for Avid any more!. Unfortunate, because he was very helpful in the past, probably the only person answering technical questions :frowning:. The new guy answered yesterday that a tech will contact me soon. We will see how soon LOL.
@Oliver.Lucas . I bought the unit from Sweetwater. Shipping it back to USA would be financial suicide :slight_smile:

So, if you need Avid rep his name is Ben : ben.deville@avid.com

I’ll wait for Avid’ s response. In the meantime I’ll probably open the unit and see how accessible the faders are.

Thank you all!!

Wojtek