Avoid loading 16 HSSE instances when importing a SMF...

P’tit lu all…

First, please, excuse me if I’m not clear in this topic. English is not my first language.

When importing a SMF (Standard MIDI File), Cubase splits it into as many tracks as the SMF contains MIDI channels used.
Thus, if my SMF contains 8 tracks, Cubase will create 8 MIDI tracks … AND, as many instances of Halion Sonic SE which he will configure the first channel with the instrument programmed in each MIDI track.
Likewise if the SMF contains 10, 12, or 16 channels occupied by data, then we are left with 10, 12, or 16 independent HSSE instances with, for each instance, a single instrument voice used …

Hello delirium…

If we want to see more clearly in the project, then we must manually type the configuration of a single instance to select channel by way of the right instrument and then remove the instances too. Obviously, you have to reassign each MIDI track to the remaining single instance and make sure the MIDI channels match.

This is frankly painful, especially if you just want to quickly read a SMF recovered on the net. And as often, these SMF do not necessarily include data General MIDI Program at the beginning of tracks, HSSE often only loads a single piano sound regardless of the track.

When the SMF is well designed, it limits the handling since in this case, it is enough to simply reassign each MIDI track then, to bring back the cursor of the project at the beginning to read the data which call the good sounds.

But when that’s not the case, it’s a phenomenal waste of time.

So, would anyone have found a way to force Cubase to load only one instance of HSSE that would load all the necessary sounds for each track?

At worst, that HSSE simply loads a piano sound but on a single instance…

Thank you in advance…

Hi,

In the Preferences > MIDI > Import MIDI File, you can choose the behavior. Either it will creates (up to 16) Instrument Tracks with HSSE or it will creates 1 HSSE Rack Instrument and (up to 16) MIDI Tracks routed to the HSSE or simple MIDI Tracks routed to your default MIDI Output Port.

Yes! Thank you for answer! I was tried that whitout any succes but finally it’s ok now.