Avoiding collisions between ties and ledger lines

Hello, newbie here. Have I overlooked an Engraving Option setting to avoid ties colliding with ledger lines specifically? I could of course expand gap between tie and notehead, but I’m generally happy with that as is. Here, Dorico allows what seems to be a collision between the tie & ledger line of the second note from the bottom.
Screenshot 2022-07-31 at 18.36.46

If you want to set “Length of ties in chords” to Uniform, and don’t want to increase the gap horizontally, giving a 1/4 space more in vertical separation seems to help. This setting …

… gets this result, if you’re satisfied with it:

1 Like

That result isn’t ideal because now the uppermost tie in the chord starts and ends directly on the middle staff line. Personally I find the closeness of the tie to the ledger line the lesser of two evils.

He was getting that result already in his image though so that’s unchanged. Personally, I don’t use the Uniform setting for length there so I end up with this by default:

It’s still starting and ending right on the middle line :man_shrugging: but maybe looks less strange since it’s closer to the notehead.

Factory settings are similar:

Here is a different kind of tie-ledger line collision:

tie and ledger line

Dorico is doing an admirable job of eliminating tie-staff line collisions, but that doesn’t seem to affect ledger lines. Is there a setting that might do that?

Unfortunately not at this time, no, though it would be nice if it could handle that situation more gracefully.

1 Like

Thank you, Daniel. I’ve always found this to be a difficult case to handle, but fortunately, it’s relatively rare.

@John_Ruggero Not at all rare in my music. But ties and slurs are VERY difficult in engraving. Even the master copper engravers had trouble with these cases.

I thought someone might say that. My condolences, Andro. :smile:

Here is a master engraver in trouble:
Troubled ties